Espresso machine & grinder recommendations for a busy restaurant, budget around $13K. - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boar_d_laze

#21: Post by boar_d_laze »

Moxiechef wrote:Not looking at the Aurelia T3, just the Digit Volumetric. The T3 is currently not available in a volumetric.
Not to make complications or anything but have you looked at the Rancilio Classe 9 USB Xcelsius? It looks like it does everything you want it to do and is priced about the same as the Digit.

By the way, you can get a T3 volumetric. It's called the "Black Eagle," and you can't afford it.

I now zip about either machine, other than propaganda.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

[creative nickname]

#22: Post by [creative nickname] »

Rich, I totally understand that people in business must make some trade-offs. But especially in the restaurant context, if the decaf service is second rate (as it usually is) I'll probably stop consuming after-dinner coffees, even though I would really enjoy them if they were decaf-done-right. I have a cup almost every evening these days at home, because we take the same care with our decaf as with everything else around here. But I almost never get decaf out, because even places with otherwise excellent coffee service often fail to treat it with the same care.

All I'm saying is that, once you decide your decaf is going to suck, you will be right. But it doesn't have to, and especially for evening service it would be very refreshing to see a restaurant that was proud of the decaf it offered its customers.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#23: Post by boar_d_laze »

[creative nickname] wrote:Rich, I totally understand that people in business must make some trade-offs. But ... it would be very refreshing to see a restaurant that was proud of the decaf it offered its customers.
Mark,

No disagreement, but, bottom line: How would you invest the grinder budget for a restaurant which does 150 espressos daily? Sky's the limit for decaf? Really? Not me.

Even though it's not a Mythos, you don't have to apologize for grinding decaf with a K30.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

russel

#24: Post by russel »

stefano65 wrote:Check with the closest
distributor, coffee roaster, and or repair company,
see what they sell, know how to fix and have parts in stock.
As someone who helps spec out coffee programs, I think this is the advice you should start with. As a restaurant and not a high end multi roaster cafe, you should be finding a roaster with a solid reputation for support, whose products you enjoy, and you shouldn't be paying retail for your gear.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Moxiechef (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Decaf is about 25% of the sales of espresso in our restaurant, due to most of it being after dinner. That said, as a chef, I gave up a long time ago trying to convince people that a medium rare steak is better than a well done one. Now my philosophy is that if you want steamed halibut with deep fried spinach, so be it, I just want it to be the best you've ever had. So, if 25% of the people want decaf, then I just want it to be the best decaf that I can give them.

JB