Questions for Rocket R58 V2 owners.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

A few hours ago I received an R58 V2 to replace a problematic Giotto Premium Plus V2. I said I would never buy a Rocket again, but here I am with another one. I know DUMB DUMB :D

Compared to my HX machine I noticed that the drain on the front of the machine is slowly, but constantly leaking. I figured it would stop after warming up, but its been on idle for 3 hours now and its still leaking. Is that normal?
Here is a photo:

I set the brew temperature on the PID to 106C which the conversion table says will result in group temperature of 93.5C/199.4F. The PID display is alternating between 105C and 106C. Is that normal and acceptable? This is my first PID machine so I don't know how precise it is supposed to be.

The remote PID comes with two screws to permanently attach the remote control to the machine. The screws are way too short so they don't make contact with the holes where they are supposed to be screwed in. YES, the connection is all the way in.
Here is a photo:

F1 (original poster)

#2: Post by F1 (original poster) »

OK so the dealer where I bought the R58 from said:

1. That drain is connected to a different part of the machine when compared to a HX machine. In a HX there is some flow that goes back into the reservoir while pulling a shot. In the R58 that same flow is directed to the front driptray via that drian in the photo.

2. Question 2 about the alternating PID set brew temperature 106-105C. I forgot to ask.

3. They agreed that the screws in the remote are indeed way too short. They are going to contact the distributor and get back to me with a solution I hope.

Strictly Amateur

#3: Post by Strictly Amateur »

I'm considering a new R58...

About that leak. Could that constant leak (when turned on) be an additional issue since the R58 has a small drip tray?

I'm confused. It's leaking while it's warming up for 3 hours but the dealer indicated it's normal for it to drip while pulling a shot. That's 2 different things isn't it? Am I reading that right?

One potential game plan is to turn on the R58 before bed so it's ready to perform immediately when waking. Is the constant drip / leak going to impede that plan?

Are the screws short on all machines or just Yours?

I was also wondering if there was a cover / cap available for the fitting on the machine when not in use for protection from terrorists or water splashing from the sink next to where it will be parked.

-0-

What were the Giotto Premium Plus V2 problems and how long did You own it?

F1 (original poster)

#4: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Strictly Amateur wrote:I'm considering a new R58...

About that leak. Could that constant leak (when turned on) be an additional issue since the R58 has a small drip tray?

-It is a small drip tray. Just as small as my Giotto HX. The R58's driptray comes with an optional drain hose. I have it draining on the sink.

I'm confused. It's leaking while it's warming up for 3 hours but the dealer indicated it's normal for it to drip while pulling a shot. That's 2 different things isn't it? Am I reading that right?

-What I was seeing was the residual water left in the line after pulling a shot. It would slowly come out one drop at a time maybe due to heat expansion. I mean very, very slow.

One potential game plan is to turn on the R58 before bed so it's ready to perform immediately when waking. Is the constant drip / leak going to impede that plan?

Are the screws short on all machines or just Yours?

-No. I sent the dealer that photo and they were surprised by it. I think if that was common you would have seen more people complaining about that.

I was also wondering if there was a cover / cap available for the fitting on the machine when not in use for protection from terrorists or water splashing from the sink next to where it will be parked.

-Haha. I don't think so.

-0-

What were the Giotto Premium Plus V2 problems and how long did You own it?
My Rocket now only makes nasty espresso.

I have owned the Giotto for about 2.5 years. Sad thing is the machine is still in like new condition in and out. Mostly because I changed most of the internals trying to figure out what was the problem. I still don't know.