Short review of ECM Technika IV Profi after 3 months of use

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
monkeyboy

#1: Post by monkeyboy »

Short review after some time to get the hang of it.

When it showed up - my wife was like WTF did you do! I find it easier to ask for forgiveness vs permission. The machine is a beast and beautiful.

First off, overall quality and craftsmanship of the machine is top notch. This is one of the reasons why I bought it - wanted something of high quality that also looked beautiful in the kitchen. I figured, the next best candidate was only a few hundred dollars less - but the ECM looks so much better and has some smarter design elements - it was worth the bit extra $$.
Love the placement of the gauges, simplicity and elegance.
Problems so far = none - runs like a champ. Everything is heavy, sturdy and built to last.

I typically do 2-4 espresso drinks per day. Ended up doing about 8-10 per day over the holidays for about 2 weeks.
Always working on my technique - it is certainly the weak link here.
Have tried 3 different varieties from Klatch coffee, don't think I have found my most favorite yet.

When I get some time, I'll likely take a local class - then monkey around with the brew and steam pressures as I refine my technique.
Going to plumb it in soon, still using it as a pourover - I like the flexibility.
Need the most work on the steaming, it steams very fast - especially with small amounts of milk, hard to control the sweet spot. Maybe adjusting the steam pressure down will help? (now at a bit over 1 bar)

Awesome machine - well worth it, no regrets