Mini oven roaster project... - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Vakse Viggo (original poster)

#21: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

Not long now until the cover is coming back on. Tomorrow the pipe for filling up the drum is getting mounted on, and then hopefully do a couple of roasts this weekend. :)

#22: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

All done! :D

This is how I fill the drum up with beans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfMkLpU3Yw

#23: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

Nr. 4 roast...

#24: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

This roast is from today. Its getting better and better and after blocking the two holes into the thermostat, the temp. is not going down anymore. RESULT! :D

oofnik

#25: Post by oofnik »

Very clever fill design, I like your project!

My first roaster was similar, a small toaster oven with a drum. It worked very well. Enjoy!

#26: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) replying to oofnik »

Thanks Jordan

Yes, the filling design works really well, and I only loose 1-2 beans in the process. I get the best results by roasting 250 gram at the time and only one type of beans at the time, and then I blend afterwards.

#27: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

And here is my Bean Cooler. The box is from a Logitech Base with 4 holes in the back for the hot air to get out, and then finished off with a Jute Wrap.

I also put a foam seal round the blue sive, so the air only comes through inside of the sive.

I can easily run the cooler indoors, up against a window, because the fan inside the box is not very powerful, and then there is no chaff's everywhere. :)

#28: Post by Vakse Viggo (original poster) »

Since I build my mini oven, it has run over 10 kg of roasted beans. Then ventilator on top, has been moved to the side by the thermostat, so it blows cool air into it, tricking it into thinking that the oven is too cool and won't stop until I turn the ventilator back down.
This way I have much more control over the heat. I did a roast today (picture), 300 gram of Colombian and ended up with 230 gram. Pre heated the oven to 200 first. 1 crack came 10 min in...and 2 crack at 12 min in. Took them out in the middle of 2 crack. Full blast on the heat from start to finish.
I still don't have the bean temp, but the time of the cracks is okay I think. :)