Time to upgrade from Gaggia Classic - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boar_d_laze

#11: Post by boar_d_laze »

+ 1 on the BDB (don't own one, but used several on various occasions). Very user friendly, one of the best at any price. Excellent group head temp stability (far better than the Alexia's) and best preinfusion anywhere near the price.

But it's not a chrome box E-61. If you want bling with a schnozz, look elsewhere. Although I'm not a fan of the compact HXs -- because they're compact, not because they're HXs -- I'd go with one of them before buying an SBDU like the Alexia.

For that matter, I'd go with the hybrid Crossland CC1 or Quick Mill Silvano ahead of any SBDU.

When you have a machine that can steam, you'll find that you do steam; if not for yourself, then for your guests.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

maxbmello

#12: Post by maxbmello »

SJM wrote:I can't imagine any reason for a person who doesn't need the steam function to invest in a double boiler.
Seems like a major waste of dollars and sense.
But....I may be missing something here.
For the price of an Alexia PID ($1,500) and the OP's max budget, it could make more sense to just get a double boiler just for the temp stability and ease of use, and not worry about the steam production. They may have guests over who do prefer milk drinks, and in that case he would be ready to go. Tastes change over time as well, and having steam ready to go makes it more likely to experiment with milk drinks. It's nice to have the capability and not need it, then deal with a SBDU machine.

Granted, the Alexia PID would be a better built machine for the long haul, and give you that classic chrome E61 look that could be important. Again, just giving my opinion.

Advertisement
maxbmello

#13: Post by maxbmello »

boar_d_laze wrote:
When you have a machine that can steam, you'll find that you do steam; if not for yourself, then for your guests.

+1!

Compass Coffee

#14: Post by Compass Coffee »

Used Rocket R58 in Buy/Sell asking $1500....Major bang for the buck.
Mike McGinness

cexshun (original poster)

#15: Post by cexshun (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice. In the 6 years of owning the Gaggia, I've only steamed a milk drink once. The only use it gets is dispensing hot water for my americanos. So I assure you, steam functionality is not needed at all.

I'm drooling over that Alexia. It's at my max budget, but it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

nuanced

#16: Post by nuanced »

...... the ALEXIA with PID is a fabulous , consistent and very easy to service espresso machine ; it has simple, minimal internal components, no expensive black control box to replace; no solenoid , and many commercial parts that are widely available . the only parts you need to purchase from a QM dealer are the boiler . heating element [relatively inexpensive ] , and special adjustable Pressure control which is purposely located on top and easily to access . the water fill is a little hinged rectangular door , which makes fill-ups simple . beautiful heavy SS case and narrow width ....... a great medium priced machine that will last 35 years ..............

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#17: Post by EspressoForge »

I started with a Gaggia as my first espresso machine, and at the time I had a Super Jolly. Since then I've upgraded/side-graded grinders several times, and same with machines.

Right now I'm with a Strega, so assuming you can fit it, and because I can't find any other specific requirements you have that would rule it out, I'd go that route. If you can find one used, they are $1500, if not, $1800-1900 new I believe, stretch of your budget, but hey you did mention that may be possible. Either way I think it's well worth the price if you don't mind the draw-backs of a lever.

I justified most of my coffee purchases in the fact that I never buy coffee outside the house, and that a great espresso makes me much more productive. Not just from caffeine, but also from my mood starting out great since the taste of a great espresso is really something that motivates me to work well.