Puzzled by 54mm Olympia Maximatic basket - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BuckleyT (original poster)

#31: Post by BuckleyT (original poster) »

Mr. Cerini,

Thank you for the time and effort you are putting in on our behalf.

Buckley

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by espressojr »

since there has been discussion on what basket might fit the 54mm group, a double dalla corte doesn't :cry:
Need replacement portafilter for '85 pasquini livietta

ilVecchio

#33: Post by ilVecchio »

What I'd like to try would be Penney portafilter with a deeper basket. I believe that the mystic 54mm Penney portafilter exists somewhere.

Joel

drgary
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary »

At the least you could chop out a stock portafilter. This would give you your deeper basket without lots of searching.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ilVecchio

#35: Post by ilVecchio »

Gary,

I own the Olympia naked basket as supplied to me by Cerini. While it allows me to monitor my pulls, I don't think that its geometry would allow for a deeper basket.

Certainly, a stock portafilter could be drilled in such a way as to allow for the deeper basket. However, someone would then need to supply that basket. As this is a sort of orphaned and unique machine, there's probably little financial incentive to do so.

Since I've switched to 14.1 gram pulls, I've not had the issued with my machine. Perhaps this is only an issue with aficionados who want that extra room for a more intense shot.

I would, if I could, switch out for the 49mm brew head as that might give so many other options.

Joel

Eastsideloco

#36: Post by Eastsideloco »

BuckleyT wrote:@eastsideloco, I would expect some differences between the Livietta and the Maxi, and the shower screen is one of them.
Agreed. It's just interesting how much deeper Olympia made that assembly on the new machines. It looks like it's about 1/8" deeper than the setup they started off using on their 54mm group.
cerinicoffee wrote:Regarding the OPV... It's useless... Most of the time they don't release pressure at all..
It may in fact be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but the FOT pump relief valve that I retrofitted into my rebranded Olympia HX machine shunts quite a bit of water back into the reservoir.

BuckleyT (original poster)

#37: Post by BuckleyT (original poster) »

ilVecchio wrote: I own the Olympia naked basket as supplied to me by Cerini. While it allows me to monitor my pulls, I don't think that its geometry would allow for a deeper basket.
The bottomless that came with my Maxi looks just like the bottomless that has appeared in relation to the Maxi in several places on the web. The handle has the same taper as the stock PF, albeit shorter, but I do not know if it is Olympia, other mfg., or some generic after-market 54mm bottomless. This is a picture of mine and the straight walls suggest no impediment to the deepest 54mm basket available.

B

cerinicoffee
Sponsor

#38: Post by cerinicoffee »

I have not seen any triple baskets for the bottomless. The OEM bottomless does not allow for a deeper basket so we never really looked into it.

If anyone has some information on this please share.

Thanks,
Johnny Cerini

==============
Olympia Moca Grinder now available at Cerini Coffee
https://www.cerinicoffee.com/moca-espre ... ia-express
Johnny
Cerini Coffee & Gifts

Eastsideloco

#39: Post by Eastsideloco »

cerinicoffee wrote:If anyone has some information on this please share.
Orphan Espresso used to sell 12-, 14-, 16- and 21- La San Marco baskets. The two larger sizes do not work w/ the stock PF, but will work with the 54mm Penney portafilter. The LSM baskets are 54mm in diameter and fit the big-group Olympia HX machines either directly or with minor modifications. (In some cases, you need to relieve the outside edge of the basket slightly.) The 21- gram basket definitely qualifies as a triple basket.

This will give you an idea of how much deeper you can go, if you want to:

Stock basket is on left; LSM 21-g basket is on right.

And this will give you an idea of the range of possibilities:

Right to left: stock double, 12-g LSM, 14-g LSM, 16-g LSM, 21-g LSM.

Personally, I don't use the deepest baskets. But I do get a fair amount of use the 12- and 14-g La San Marco doubles, just because they are a tad deeper than the stock Olympia double. (Note that the shower screen on my vintage Olympia HX machine isn't as deep as the shower screen on the current models. So I have a little extra room to dose, even w/out the bigger baskets.)