Artisan gas and air readings

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Danm

#1: Post by Danm »

Hi all, first post but long time follower. So I've been using Artisan on my TJ-067 but I also use a roast log spreadsheet which I mainly use to track gas and air setting changes during the roast. Starting at EOD, I record the time, temp, gas, and air each minute up to 1stCs. Then the same data at 1stCe, and drop. Then I use the spreadsheet and compare it to the Artisan graph to help get a good idea of what happened during the roast (especially as it pertains to RoR) as well as what changes, if any, I should make next time. My question is this: Can anyone recommend a way to manually record gas and air setting changes in Artisan? I've tried adding events, but all I get is a series of e's along the BT curve. I've seen Artisan graphs used with other brands of roasters that record power and air setting changes ( I believe automatically) along the bottom of the graph, but as the TJ-067 just has a manual gas valve, I'm pretty sure that's not an option. I'd be happy with manually logging the settings after the roast just so I'd have them all on one graph and would not have to keep refering back and forth between the spreadsheet and graph. Sorry for a dragging out a rather simple question, and thanks in advance. Dan

Advertisement
edtbjon

#2: Post by edtbjon »

I record gas and fan on my Huky 500 with sliders. There is a document on the Artisan website which describes how to set up a HotTop/Artisan combo. Nevermind the HotTop, use the same settings and you will have a two sliders at the side which you drag to a relative (0-100%) value as the roast goes along.

MaKoMo

#3: Post by MaKoMo »

Danm wrote:My question is this: Can anyone recommend a way to manually record gas and air setting changes in Artisan?
Dan,

this is the idea behind the custom events. There are for of them and you use the event dialog (menu Config >> Events). You can use the text boxes in the first tab to name those 4 types of events by need. The value range is 0-100%. In this first tab you can also define if and how those events should be drawn in the roast graph. By default those "Bars" are drawn using those E markers on the ET curve, by choosing "Type" or "Value" those events are drawn below the temperature curves either by type or value.

To enter events you can either use this extra "Event" button that is shown (if "Button" is ticked) as last button during recording to the right of the COOL button. You can use the "Mini Editor" that is shown if this option is ticked. This is an extra line on the bottom of the main screen to quickly enter or change custom event data. You can define custom buttons or sliders using the controls in the "Buttons" and "Sliders" tab (see my posts on Events, Buttons and Palettes and [url =http://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de ... ottop.html]Controlling a Hottop[/url]). Finally, you can use the keyboard shortcuts to quickly enter custom events during recording (press the q, w, e, r key followed by two number key to input one of the four custom events of value 0-99.

Marko

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

I tried sliders but found them a bit awkward for me.
My next try was with buttons, and my buttons are configured like this.

Danm (original poster)

#5: Post by Danm (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for the replies. Lookin' forward to getting into it tonight after work. It sounds like there's a few ways that would let me quickly enter setting changes on the fly instead of entering them post roast. That would be great. It will definitely be helpful to be able to see the gas or air change, and then see the result of that change on the same graph. Awesome program Marko, thanks! Dan