Mahlkonig Pro-M Chute Jam

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dpiette
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dpiette »

I am one of the few who has had really good luck with the Mahlkonig Pro-M I bought at the SCAA show when it was in Houston (2011)

But yesterday I was cleaning the thing (very easy to do) and I noticed that the chute was cracked. I had ordered another one when the initial problems (spraying grounds) first appeared, but I didn't see the need to replace my original chute until now.

The new chute was a slightly different design (two piece, not one piece, a slightly narrower throat, a stiffer static flap) but it installed without a problem.

But when I tried to use the grinder, it would not produce any grounds, and finally seized up.

So I opened it up again, and found that the chute from the grinding chamber was hard packed with ground coffee, as was the annulus around the burrs.

I cleaned it out, and reinstalled the chute with more care (thinking it was just installed too loosely). Re-assembled, reground, same problem.

So I took it apart again, and swapped the new flap with the old flap, which was a little more flexible.

Re-assembled, re-ground, same problem.

So I took the thing apart again, and then reinstalled the OLD chute using duct tape to create a friction fit (it failed with the little bit of plastic where the set screw locks the chute into the grinder broke apart). Re-assembled, and it worked like a champ.

I have a note into the Mahlkonig parts folks to see if they have heard of this problem before.

Has anyone else seen this?
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Mine would clog once a year or so, but easily cleaned out. Did you switch to darker (oilier) beans?
Marshall
Los Angeles

dpiette (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

No, same beans.

Different chute.

No response yet from Mahlkoinig
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.

mike01

#4: Post by mike01 »

This is strange indeed. Considering there seemed to be an issue with clogging with the ProM, one wonders why they would redesign the chute to a design that is even more prone to clogging. Do you have any pictures comparing the two designs? What type of coffee are you using? Did you ever hear back from Mahlkonig?

dpiette (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

I will get some photos the next time I take the thing apart.

I am using home roasted Sweet Maria espresso blend beans, roasted about two pops into the second crack.

Nothing from Mahlkoning.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.