Chicago cafes - Michigan Ave/Loop area?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
brisbane87

#1: Post by brisbane87 »

Going to be there this week. I'm staying on Michigan Ave and E. Delaware. Obviously there's Intelligentsia...anything else notable?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

You can take the blue line out to Western and do the Wicker Park cafe crawl -- Gas Light, Ipsento, Wormhole, Streets. For something completely different, try an actual Viennese sit down, coffee and cake, cafe that's doing so well in Chicago that they have 4 places now. 211 East Ontario is the closest.
Jim Schulman

BTD1986

#3: Post by BTD1986 »

Try Asado, it's on Jackson between State and Michigan. They have a 3 group Idrocompresso Mirage. Enough said.

Bkultra

#4: Post by Bkultra »

It might be a little bit out of the way but Metropolis is worth mentioning

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

I agree with Jim, all the best spots are in wicker park and Lincoln square.

Near you, there should be a bow truss in river North but it's a satellite location with limited hours.

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

You could also try the Mayor's list: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... -the-mayor. He doesn't support the big chains.
Marshall
Los Angeles

UltramaticOrange

#7: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Dollop in the Loop near the library doesn't get its due credit (ymmv depending on who is working). I walk past Intelligentsia to get there when I'm needing a fix during work hours.

Dollop in North Loop has a Mod Bar if that's your thing, and is just a block or two from Bow Truss which also deserves a little more credit.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

brisbane87 (original poster)

#8: Post by brisbane87 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:You could also try the Mayor's list: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... -the-mayor. He doesn't support the big chains.
Based on that list, it unfortunately looks as if I may not be able to avoid Rahm Emmanuel.