Milk/latte art problem

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
EveryBagOfBeans

#1: Post by EveryBagOfBeans »

Recently when I have been making cappuccinos something weird is happening. The oil on top of the shot seems to be disputing and I can't make latte art. Is it my milk? Is my machine dirty?

Normally I get this:

Now I get a liquid-y mess.

Any help would be great.

tburres

#2: Post by tburres »

Has something changed recently? How long have you been getting good results before things changed?

I think you are saying that the crema is dissipating but the milk is still the same - if so, how fresh are your beans and how long is your shot sitting before you add the milk?

If it's actually the milk that is too thin, and you are steaming as you always have, I have seen mentioned here that someone had a dramatic change in the quality of his steamed milk after washing his milk pitcher with a new/different soap and the soap film was causing the problem.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#3: Post by EspressoForge »

EveryBagOfBeans wrote:Recently when I have been making cappuccinos something weird is happening. The oil on top of the shot seems to be disputing and I can't make latte art. Is it my milk? Is my machine dirty?

Normally I get this:

Now I get a liquid-y mess.

Any help would be great.
Try to make a shot with your Moka pot and steam with your Krups and see how it comes out. If all is fine then it's not the coffee or water you're using, or your milk steaming technique...all that's left then is your machine. Consider an upgrade as I believe your Krups isn't capable of real espresso, but rather can make something like your Moka pot coffee anyway. At that point you'd have to do some research and decide on a budget and what you want if you do want to pursue the espresso route.

chachi

#4: Post by chachi »

Looks like maybe you are overheating the milk. No latte pro here, but when I have overheated milk for my wife's cap...it looked like that. Are you using regular milk or maybe soy milk? my wife likes soy and when it overheats...forget it.
Jason