Brasilia Gabriella: no heat problem and restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
FastForward

#1: Post by FastForward »

Hello all,

I recently acquired my e61 grouphead machine, a Brasilia Gabriella. There is very little information on this machine online, but it is almost identical to the Brasilia mini-classic. From the outside it also looks very similar to the Andreja.

The outside of the machine is in very good condition.

But inside, the machine is in desperate need of some TLC.

The current condition of machine's functionality is that it turns on, but doesn't heat. The red light also doesn't come on. Trying to pull a shot the pump turns on and water comes out of the grouphead.

There is a good amount of scale build up inside judging by the scale I see after removing the mushroom.

Visually inspecting the bottom of the boiler, there seems to be some scale buildup,

To debug the source of the problem. I examined continuity of the heating element, my multimeter beeped indicating that there is no break in the element. I also measured the resistance, which measured at 8.3 Ohms, consistent with the specs indicated a 1700Watt heating element.

I also measured continuity on the pressure stat, and it seemed to be continuous as well.

Next, I will inspect the water level sensor, as well as the water level probe inside the boiler, the vacuum valve.

I know I need to descale the machine, would citric acid do or would white vinegar be better? Any tips or advice on the next steps would be appreciated.

Advertisement
FastForward (original poster)

#2: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

Removed the back and one of the sides.

Now, I am able to see the inside better.

Looking at the bottom of the boiler and the heater electrical connections, I am seeing that one of the connectors has been flamed and the plastic cover burnt.

#3: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

Some strange, I hope some people can help on this. I just noticed that at the top of the boiler there is a hole where a screw is missing.

I can definitely see a screw in that location in this video (see 5:55), its a flat head screw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h11PAyZ03Qw

Does anyone know what that hole is for, what size screw is needed?

#4: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

I managed to get the wiring schematic done today. I noticed that the boiler is not grounded and I wonder if this is normal or not??? Can anyone provide input on this?