Baratza Virtuoso won't grind fine enough for espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ben8jam

#1: Post by ben8jam »

So got the new grinder (Virtuoso). Been making press in it the past couple days while using up the left over Lavazza preground espresso.

Today dialed the grinder down to 6 (while running) to do espresso and it will NOT grind past the 9 mark. 9 is too coarse still for espresso. It gets rather hard to turn below 10 and past 8/9 no grinds will come out.

I have emailed Baratza for support, but perhaps some of you have experienced the same thing.

I want a new espresso machine now too btw. This is all (financially) downhill isn't it :wink:

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

ben8jam wrote:I want a new espresso machine now too btw. This is all (financially) downhill isn't it :wink:
Yes, you are pretty much doomed.
Scott
LMWDP #248

ben8jam (original poster)

#3: Post by ben8jam (original poster) replying to sweaner »

Since I can't grind for espresso till Barazta figures out the issue (they did say it sounded like I need to replace a faulty ring burr (I sent them a video so they can further diagnose)), I spent the day grinding and weighing for the french press. On a postal scale!! So now, I've ordered a food scale.

And it begins.

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

You. Are. Toast. So much for your finances. Down the rabbit hole :lol:

ben8jam (original poster)

#5: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Barazta says faulty part and are sending a new part to swap out.

I've drunk so much french press in the past couple days I don't know which way is up. lol