Izzo Alex Duetto 3 - Steam joystick installation

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I wondering if someone has some experience on the installation of the QM steam joystick on the Alex Duetto 3. I have the adapter for the Alex but there were no instructions. The stock joystick is easy enough to remove. I am not sure on the sequence of the assembly of joystick and the adapter and how the copper flare gasket is to be used.

Jeepin' Geo

#2: Post by Jeepin' Geo »

Chuck,

I did the QM joystick upgrade on my Duetto 1, but it should be similar to yours.

That gasket is going to go between the flare fitting and the end of the adapter. The gasket will absorb the deformation from the 90 degree angled inside edge of the adapter (so the flare doesn't take the deformation) and provide a seal to the flare fitting.

I have some PICs of the installation sequence of the components if needed.

George

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

George

Thanks for responding. I ended up calling the supplier Chriscoffee and they stepped me through. The brass washer was for the older style Alex Duetto where they apparently created a flat end on the steam boiler pipe (per your note). In picture 1 you can see the brass pipe has a tapered end so I did not require the copper flare gasket. The installation was a bit finicky and involved purchasing some better quality metric wrenches. Before closing up the unit I allowed it to build full steam pressure to ensure there were no leaks as there is always an element of snugging just enough. The washer had a stepped o-ring on the inside diameter. I had not seen one of these before.

I know it has been commented elsewhere that the steam wand sticks below the tray. This is very true and by 1 1/2 inches. This means draining any water has to be done into a rag or glass and cannot be done into the tray. However on the plus side I find steaming more comfortable. As well the steam tip that came with the joystick has a wider dispersion pattern. I am finding I am getting even better steaming control and better steamed milk. I have yet to see if I can put the old wand on but with better steaming its all good.

Also the joystick is great. Having instant off control is perfect and its kind of fun as well. :)

Update: Jan 9 - I switched the tip back to the original. Steaming is the same or better. Its not the tip, its the joystick. Maybe its letting in more steam but milk is great. Nice and dense and I can stop at a colder temp if I want. I will have to go back and try the other tips that were supplied with the Alex Duetto

Note: Chris coffee service was responsive and helpful as I had multiple e-mails and several phone calls

HawkGT

#4: Post by HawkGT »

I've tried to do this install on my Alex Duetto 3 and ran into a few problems. Chris coffee service was happy to take my calls and tried to help, but the new valve does allow a small amount of water/steam to leak into the inside of the machine. This water will drop right onto an electrical switch that sits below this connection.

The adapter extender design seems to be less than ideal, as compared to the original valve. The steam joystick seals to the supplied adapter through a flare fitting. However, the adapter is also used as the mechanical mount to secure the joystick to the machine's front panel. When tightening the adapter to the joystick, one has to wonder which mechanical seal has been made at the expense of the other. Perhaps the rubber inner ring on the silver washer is supposed to allow the flare seal to be steam tight and provide sufficient mechanical strength to mount the valve.

I preferred the original valve design, since a brass nut was used to mount the valve to the front panel, and the separate flare nut on the steam boiler line was used to create a connection to the original steam valve that was steam tight. If a bit of steam did get through the fitting, the flare nut could be tightened to resolve that.

Chris coffee service said to use the copper washer and place it between the adapter/extender and the steam boiler line. That made sense to me because the adapter should have a seat machined for the flare connection it must make with the steam boiler line. The copper washer is intended to press into the adapter and create that connection. Chris coffee also advised me to put a piece of teflon tape over the steam boiler line to help create a seal. After a couple of attempts at assembly, that seal seems to be holding. The adapter seems a bit contrived rather than designed.

Overall, the new valve is an improvement over the original valve which developed an unfixable leak when the system is on. There are other posts on this forum describing that problem. I was not able to fix that leak for that valve, despite replacing the rubber gasket and I was able to use the adapter supplied by Chris coffee to make a barely serviceable connection to the QM steam joystick.

I really wish someone would provide a replacement steam boiler line with a flare nut threaded to the QM steam joystick. That would resolve all the problems and make this an easy install. Does anybody know of a possible supplier for such an item?

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

HawkGT

I agree it is a poor design. About 2 weeks after the installation it started to leak a bit so I gave it a very slight tightening. Its been solid since then but you would think there is a better solution out there.

I will say the joysitck is great. So glad I did that. Its fast and repeatable. Great upgrade.