Gastroback 42612 - Single shot pressure problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Randolf

#1: Post by Randolf »

Heya everybody,

after following the board passively for some time I finally registered because a problem with my Gastroback 42612 Design Espressomachine Advanced Pro G gives me a headache and maybe you guys can help me out.

When i received the machine it took me some time (and "hacking" the mill to have a decent grind) to achieve a good espresso out of it. I finally managed to get to the point where the pressure is in the good middle of the "espresso" level, the time is in between 20-25 seconds with a nice fine espresso powder and awesome taste.

After 3 month usage I do run into the following problem:

If I use the single shot filter the pressure is WAY TOO HIGH - almost no matter how much I reduce the grade of grinding or the amount of coffee used.
The double shot filter works about fine (though the pressure is always a little bit low there and the taste is not perfect perfect).

So my first thoughts were that my filter is furred up so I cleaned the machine and the filter some times, but there is no change.
The filter looks perfectly fine and if I just pure water through it without coffee powder it also works fine, but as soon as I use the filter
for espresso the pressure goes way up, the coffee is bitter and burned and there is no constant flow of coffee anymore..

Any clue why that could be like that?

regards
Ralf

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

It's actually a rebadged Breville 820. The quality of the filter baskets is not great, and getting the same flow parameters from a single as a double is unlikely. You'll need to grind coarser or dose less for the single.

Alan

Randolf (original poster)

#3: Post by Randolf (original poster) »

you think a new filter would help? and yes i know but it WORKED before ;) it just sux right now

Alan Frew

#4: Post by Alan Frew »

I just worked out that it must be the pressurized basket. The outlet hole on the base is blocked with crud. You can try soaking in hot espresso machine detergent, but it's probably easier just to buy a new one.

Alan

Randolf (original poster)

#5: Post by Randolf (original poster) »

hy alan -

i only use the regular baskets not the "double wall pressurized" ones if you mean those.
In the end the question is if it makes sense to get a new "single wall basket" and if do i have to buy the regular one or are they interchangable and if what is recommendable