Need help with dialing shots for newbie... - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
leung_chi_hang (original poster)

#11: Post by leung_chi_hang (original poster) »

I know that one should not dose too much coffee in the basket which may cause channeling, but is there harm to dose too little, such as 12 gram in a double basket?

p.s. I recently get a pretty good setting on the Klatch WBC (16.0g, 25-30s, 200F, ~100% br), very sweet chocolaty juicy and nice with milk. It make my mouth water all day long. Don't judge me.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by jwCrema »

If it tastes good go with it.

leung_chi_hang (original poster)

#13: Post by leung_chi_hang (original poster) »

I just got a used La Cimbali Junior grinder and I hope it is worth the upgrade. Feel kinda silly now with the Breville with a build in grinder that I am not using. I hope the changes are very noticeable.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#14: Post by EspressoForge »

leung_chi_hang wrote:I know that one should not dose too much coffee in the basket which may cause channeling, but is there harm to dose too little, such as 12 gram in a double basket?

p.s. I recently get a pretty good setting on the Klatch WBC (16.0g, 25-30s, 200F, ~100% br), very sweet chocolaty juicy and nice with milk. It make my mouth water all day long. Don't judge me.
Yes, I think if you go too low in a double, you'll have some issues getting an even extraction. This is just simply based on hole sizing and area vs grind size. 12g may be the minimum doable, you'll just have to experiment for your basket. If you want to go below that, go with a single basket. I love my LM single, it really works and helps me not to drink so much coffee but to get the taste boost now and then that I love about espresso.
leung_chi_hang wrote:I just got a used La Cimbali Junior grinder and I hope it is worth the upgrade. Feel kinda silly now with the Breville with a build in grinder that I am not using. I hope the changes are very noticeable.
Haha, I wouldn't worry about feeling silly. No one here will think of it that way, and just about everything we do for coffee others think is silly. When people see my coffee bar you can see they are trying to figure out what does what.

A grinder upgrade is always worth it.