How to Remove Lever Pin Retainer Clip on Ponte Vecchio Export

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hello All:

For the several years I've been working on my own lever machines, I haven't come across a retainer clip that can't be loosened with circlips pliers. I'm now evaluating a Ponte Vecchio Export and came across this retainer clip that has no place to grip it. Perhaps someone can tell me if there's a special tool for this or some trick for removing it. I don't want to get too aggressive with picking tools and a new machine. If you're thinking I can position the tip of the circlips pliers at the gap and spread the ends, the actual clip is much smaller than it looks. When I try and insert a screwdriver it spins. :roll:

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Answer: Use a picking tool to get the lever pin raised, exposing the groove for the clip and use a small screwdriver to get it to spring off and fly away. Now I'll source a real clip to replace it. :x
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

Those are just hateful little clips. Near impossible to replace as well even if you did not launch it into a parallel universe when you removed it. Supposedly requires a special installation and removal tool.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

So it's not just my newbieness with this thing! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

They are relatively common on all types of things. Somewhat surprising finding them on something that requires routine maintenance though.

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

I just did the seals on my Lusso, and had a pair of those clips. They're not too difficult, but one must push on both ends simultaneously. One did take flight but I found it. They were easy enough to put back on though.

The Lusso seal job went quite smoothly. With both the Lusso and the Export it helps to take to group off to remove and insert the piston if using a c-clamp for the job.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I didn't find it difficult to remove my one clip once I figured out how to lift the pin and pry it off. I'm not a watch repairman, so I found it impossible to push both ends. I agree with Rich that they shouldn't be used in an application where you'll do periodic servicing. A circlip is so much easier. I didn't remove both lever pins. The large pin inside the roller can stay in place when servicing piston seals. All you need to do is free up the piston shaft. And yes, I did remove the group and used a large C-clamp. It only slipped off once and had to be held in place with rubber anti-skid carpet mat.
Gary
LMWDP#308