Espresso machine pump making weird sound... any thougths?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gungabin

#1: Post by gungabin »

my espresso machine has a 110v procon pump attached to a motor. It was working fine and today when I turned it on to make a latte I turned on the brew switch and the motor made a quieter hum rather than its usually noisy sound. The water didnt seem to come out as strong and the machine got quieter the longer I experimented. I know something is wrong I just dont know what...is it the pump? the pump motor? What can I check and how can I check it? Im prepared to rip the machine apart If I need to

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

First thing I would check is your pump pressure. Has it dropped, second would be water pressure. The pump pressure is dependent on the input pressure unless you have a balance bypass pump. If you mains pressure drops, your pump pressure drops with it.
Dave Stephens

gungabin (original poster)

#3: Post by gungabin (original poster) »

well, I dont have a pump pressure gauge on the machine. the line in pressure has not changed, I have it on a flo-jet from a 5 gallon water bottle.

How can I check the pressure of the pump to the portafilter?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Make a portafilter mounted pressure gauge

Portafilter pressure gauge
Dave Stephens

Espresso_Monkey

#5: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

The Procon is s a rotary vane pump?

My rotary vane pump started making noises but it was actually an issue with the no-return valve; hot water flowing back into the pump.

Open the machine up, check if it's getting hot, take some video and share it.

gungabin (original poster)

#6: Post by gungabin (original poster) »

alright, ill tear into ol' bessy and post an update soon. Thanks guys!