V60 02 capacity and technique

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Goldensncoffee

#1: Post by Goldensncoffee »

My Wife got me V60 02 and 02 sized carafe for Christmas this year. I've been using a 6 cup Chemex for about a year. I've used the V60 for the past few days and wow it makes an incredible cup of coffee. I've been using George Howells recipe/technique. It is 28g/390g water. Can I do a larger batch in this 02 size? I've been looking online and can't seem to find much info. I would like to make enough for my wife and myself in one shot. I usually do 38-40g/600 in the Chemex.

Is there any other pour technique that I should really try other than whats on Howells site?

Also do you grind any differently for the V60 compared to the Chemex?

Thanks

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

I often do 42g/600mL batches in it without any trouble.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Here's the recipe I have used the most, but I've got to try the GHC recommendation - thanks for that.
Credit goes to Prima Coffee
Tonx at Intellivenice
•Dosage: ~27 Grams for 414 mL (65g/L)
•Grind: N/A (I used 16/40)
•Temp: Just off boil (I brewed at 203°-205°)
•Pre-Infusion: Pre-wet and let sit for 30 - 45 seconds
•Total Time: No longer than 3 minutes

Method
1.Rinse Filter
2.Grind and pour coffee into V60 shaking to settle grounds.
3.Pre-infuse with water allowing it to bloom for 30-45 seconds
4.Begin pouring from the center out in small circular motions.
5."Ride the Bloom" - Pouring in circular motions in the center while pushing the grounds outward.
6.Pour this way slowly until the V60 is full and keep full until total volume is reached; then let it drain out.
7.Uniform, heavy layer of grounds should coat the filter all the way up.

Taste Notes
•Super juicy and super sweet
•Delicate sweet tang finish (on the back sides of the tongue)
•Definitely get more of a ripe pomegranate than orange in this cup

Brew Method Notes

The riper fruit taste rather than the more acidic orange peel taste should be accounted for by the hotter water temp (45 seconds to a minute off boil, so probably brewed at 203°-205° range). Their ratio is 65g/1000 mL and pouring the entire water volume after the 30-45 second pre-infusion (which brought the water level near the top of the 02 V60 allows a quicker brew time and less of a chance for the hotter water temperature to over-extract.

Score: 10/10
LMWDP #198

Goldensncoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the info guys

Mark, I did the 42g/600mL this am. It was great!

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

Glad to hear it!
LMWDP #435

JmanEspresso

#6: Post by JmanEspresso »

My usual brew ratio lately has been 26grams coffee to 450grams of water, and with a combination of pour control and grind size, a 4 minute brew, so the last drops and the drying bed of coffee, appear at the 4 minute mark.

Ive brewed as much as 550-600grams of water on the number 2 size hario, without a problem. I do find I get the best results, or possibly, the most consistent results with a given coffee, within the ballpark of the first brew ratio I listed. When coffees change, sometimes I alter the dose, sometimes the grind. Usually both through the course of a bag of coffee, to see which yields a better cup. I may keep the grind the same and use 28grams, or keep it at 26grams and tighten the grind, etc etc. Perhaps its just because Ive spent the most time using 450-460 grams of water, that I get the most consistent results that way. The number 02 can definitely accomadate more ground coffee than 25-30 grams, and the beauty of the V60 is that you have full control over the brew time with both grind size and pour speed.

My current technique is my slight adaptation of the George Howell method. I tried a few different methods I found online from places like Intelly or Barismo, and the GH technique worked best for me, and then I just tweaked it a hair to accommodate the cup I like and the flavours I wanted.

treyrox

#7: Post by treyrox »

I regularly do v60 brews with 42g/700 up to 60g/1000. i adjust grind size to keep brew times to the 2:15-2:45 time frame and play around with different pour techniques and amounts of stirring.