Draining Espresso Machine Before Transport

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rico1919

#1: Post by Rico1919 »

Hello everyone, long-time lurker and first-time poster here so thanks for all of the information so far. I looked around and couldn't really find this question answered so thought I would ask. I am getting ready to transport my Silvia about an hour away (driving) and was wondering if it was necessary to drain it for the voyage. I will be in the car with it so there shouldn't be any risk of freezing and it seems like kind of a pain if it isn't necessary.

If you all do think it is a good idea, I have seen a couple of ways recommended for draining - 1) running the pumps with the machine on its back and cold and 2) heating up the boiler to steam temperature, turning it off, and opening the steam wand. What is the consensus for best way to drain?

Thanks again.

AtlGator

#2: Post by AtlGator »

I wouldn't bother. You would want to drain her if you were shipping her and concerned about water freezing in places, but for your hour journey somewhere you shouldn't fret too much. I would drain the reservoir and drip tray, however! :lol:

iginfect

#3: Post by iginfect »

If my memory is correct, Silvia has a removal reservoir. If it does, I would remove it and dump the water. Nothing else as long as the temp is above 32 deg F.

Marvin

Rico1919 (original poster)

#4: Post by Rico1919 (original poster) »

Ha, I was definitely planning on removing the reservoir. Thanks for the replies.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Rico1919 wrote:I looked around and couldn't really find this question answered so thought I would ask.
Probably because most of the previous discussions involve shipping, not simply across town transport. Should someone need this information in the future, I searched on "drain espresso machine boiler" and found lots of pointers: How to drain double boiler for shipment and Get water out of Rancilio Silvia for shipping? and How to drain the boiler before shipping an espresso machine and Preparing an espresso machine for storage and Shipping an espresso machine - help and...
Rico1919 wrote:I will be in the car with it so there shouldn't be any risk of freezing and it seems like kind of a pain if it isn't necessary.
Apart from emptying the reservoir, it's good to go.
Dan Kehn

Rico1919 (original poster)

#6: Post by Rico1919 (original poster) »

Thanks for the links Dan. I had seen most of those before posting, but like you said I was trying to get some clarification on the transport which I thought was much less critical to drain than shipping or storage where freezing would be an issue. Great to have all of those links in one spot though for future reference. Thanks again everyone!