New (Free) Gwilym Davies Barista Training Videos - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LaDan

#21: Post by LaDan »

GwilymBarista wrote:.... but in such a polite way
Haha!

Compass Coffee

#22: Post by Compass Coffee »

Marshall wrote:The European Coffee Trip just announced a series of free barista training videos by Gwilym Davies. They will be released bi-weekly, beginning Jan. 11, and you can subscribe here: http://europeancoffeetrip.com/gwilym.
Thanks for the heads up Marshall. I consider myself pretty darned good at espresso. I of course subscribed. The day I stop being teachable is the day I die. I will of course highly suggest all my staff also subscribe.
Mike McGinness

sturm

#23: Post by sturm »

Thanks!

ira
Team HB

#24: Post by ira »

I just watched the fourth video in Gwilym's series of videos and I continue to be impressed both with his ability as a speaker/entertainer and the depths to which he's broken down the process of making espresso. I would have never guessed that the subject of todays video would actually be a subject. I have always been semi concious of what he said today, but from now on, I will be fully conscious. I'm going to guess that even if you think you've master this, there is something to learn it what he has to say. They're short and sweet and sometimes obvious, but in my mind, well worth the few minutes a month they take.

And to Gwilym, thanks so much. You've taught me both specifics about the process and how much I don't know. Knowing that I know so little makes it much easier to see where what I know or assume might be improved.

Here's the link:

http://europeancoffeetrip.com/blog/

At the bottom of the page of each video it says:
If you don't want to miss the next video, SUBSCRIBE and join over 1000 coffee people in Learning Coffee With Gwilym!
I keep wondering when it will to jump to 10,000. It would be sad if only 1000 people are seeing those.

Ira

Eric

#25: Post by Eric »

I think Mr. Davies presentation skills are top-notch and the quality of the video and sound are very good. I've subscribed and eagerly await the rest of the series!
Eric

brianl

#26: Post by brianl »

What's everyones impression of leaving a tamped puck in the portafilter too long? I sometimes do this while coming to temp after a flush or while I steam (when the lady wants a cortado). Only dark roasts?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#27: Post by baldheadracing »

Today's episode on cleaning the machine really hit home.

As a 'home barista,' I have the luxury of cleaning the portafilter and basket with dish detergent, backflushing, and scrubbing the grouphead gasket after every shot. I thought that I was doing fine with backflushing with detergent once a week, i.e., after about a dozen shots. Then I dropped the shower screen after three weeks - yuck! The three-way valve action just sucks the coffee back up. One more reason to love lever machines!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marshall (original poster)

#28: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

Or one more reason to remove the screen whenever you backflush.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Compass Coffee

#29: Post by Compass Coffee »

Marshall wrote:Or one more reason to remove the screen whenever you backflush.
To clarify after you backflush, not before. From Synesso manual:
NOTE: NEVER remove the screen and screw when backflushing. Remove and clean them after backflushing is complete. Do not forget to reinstall.
Mike McGinness