Are smaller baskets more forgiving than larger ones?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dominico
Team HB

#1: Post by dominico »

To clarify, I mean smaller in surface area.

If I have a 49mm double basket with 14 grams in it and a 58mm double with 14 grams in it, would the 49mm be more forgiving to basket preparation errors since it has a thicker puck and smaller surface area, or am I just imagining things?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It's hard to verify a statement like this, since the forgivingness of a basket depends on the machine on which it is used. Since a 49mm and 58mm basket cannot be used on the same machine, they are hard to compare.

In my experience, 58mm double baskets have sweet spots in their dosing range. The standard Faema and LM 58mm are distinctly uncomfortable at 14 grams, but do very nicely at 15.5 to 18.5 range. I find baskets sold as "12 grams" much more friendly for the lower doses on most machines.
Jim Schulman

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#3: Post by EspressoForge »

I had the impression that cross sectional shape mattered a lot more than actual rim size. This is just more of an anecdotal observation rather than real evidence as Jim mentioned that you can't take a 58mm standard basket and put it into smaller machines.

But I have noticed for example, a tall tapered basket like on a Caravel seems very forgiving and easy to pull a good shot. While a 58mm basket actually gives a lot more problems and needs a much more careful distribution. But I would guess that if you had a proportionate basket of the same shape, but 58mm diameter it should behave similar...then again it would probably hold a lot of coffee!

I've also had an unknown brand triple basket which looks nearly square in cross sectional shape (pretty much no taper), it's the hardest for me to get a good pull on. But some of this may have something to do with the hole sizing as well.

Makes me wonder why more beginner machines don't have baskets similar to a Caravel, rather than a 58mm commercial size. I feel it would be easier to get better results that way, especially when a grinder is usually not as great on a beginner setup.