Baratza Vario First Use Calibration & Startup

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sgtsassafras

#1: Post by sgtsassafras »

I recently just purchased a Baratza Vario & Quick Mill Anita from Chris's Coffee after considering several different option. While testing shots yesterday and today I found that the Vario was not grinding as fine as I would like. With an 18g dose and a setting of 1A, I was getting a decent extraction although I felt it could be tighter.

I've watched the videos online regarding the Vario calibration but I am having trouble - it sounds like the motor is laboring as is, but I feel the grind needs to be finer. My question is, is it possible to damage the machine by setting the unit too fine? It has had a slight squeal out of the box (when not grinding beans, which is how it is calibrated), so this is also making me slightly nervous when adjusting the machine. Is it also possible that the machine needs to be broken in? Should I be running a few pounds of instant rice through it first before calibrating it?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Not likely; a bit, but not like steel burrs so don't worry about it; and no, not recommended by Baratza (and again, the Vario burrs are ceramic, not steel - a process for steel might not be appropriate for ceramic :-).)

There are two different calibrations on the Web as there was a change in the burr carrier a little while after introduction. With current machines, the burrs make a touching noise at 2Q.

A Properly Calibrated Vario Grinder:
Good luck! - and BTW, you might as well send an email to Baratza to get the shim kit - it is almost inevitable that you will need to install the kit if you use the grinder at espresso settings...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada