Plugging Olympia Cremina steam wands holes?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CrabRangoon

#1: Post by CrabRangoon »

If I ever hope to adjust and improve my steaming technique on my Cremina, I cannot do it with the stock 4 hole tip and a 10-15 second steaming window. I would like to plug 1 or 2 of the holes in the tip to allow for less steam delivery / more time to work with the milk, especially since I typically do 3-4oz per batch. As the tip isn't removable from the wand, and plugging seems to be done from the inside out, is there a (non-permanent) solution to plugging?

The other idea I've got is to make use of the Spyroline Foam Knife tip I've got from my Oscar, by I'd need to install an LM GB5 wand to thread it on properly. While I may give that a shot later, it's not a project I wished to take on at this time since I don't even know if the wand is easily workable onto this machine. It sure would be nice to have a different angle farther from the group so I could properly center the tip in my pitcher.
LMWDP #505

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

The Cremina doesn't have a threaded seam nozzle. You could theoretically buy a steam wand from the 2012 model that does have an female threaded shaft (M7-1.0). Then go find or create a male to male M7-1.0 to M10-1.0 adapter. Or badger Craig over at HG-One to get going on his;)

I don't recommend plugging the holes for a couple of reasons.
1) potential for the plug to break off and get stuck, and worse pushed into the steam wand when you try to extract it!
2) potential for the plug to dislodge into your drink.

Beyond those caveats, it does work to extend the steaming time. I find it horribly slow and a very kludged solution.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#3: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

I had voted "yes" on Craig's proposed adapter, and if I knew it were a sure thing going into production I'd certainly buy the updated wand to install on my machine. After all, I already have the Foam Knife tip from my Oscar days, I'm simply trying to figure out if I'll end up using it on my Cremina or selling it off.

The main concern I have for using that specific tip on the original Olympia wands is that they are just adjustable in position. The tip is supposed to be used at a 45 degree angle and that's just not something that would work well with the stock wand angle.

Having used the tip at various angles before, I can say it doesn't do anything amazing when pointed nearly straight down to begin the frothing process :| Meanwhile, the Sproline Vortex tip would be great for our wand angle, but that tip is no longer available from Espresso Parts.
LMWDP #505

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by samuellaw178 »

A cheap and reversible way is to plug with the toothpick. I'm sure you've read this before, and probably dismissed it.

So I just wanted to chime in to add that :
i) it can be done outside-in
ii) foodsafe-ish -toothpick are used for? You got it. Pick tooth. If you're still worried, boil them in hot water for 5 min or so.
iii) Doesn't come off easily once firmly inserted.
iv) Works great. Microfoam is like one plus one - easy :mrgreen:
v) Reversible - use a small screwdriver to 'drill' it off shall you want that removed.
vi) Doesn't even look like it's there.

It's important to use the rounded sharp end toothpick like below. Push in as hard as possible and cut flush. Don't worry about enlarging the hole because you can't. The wood is way softer than the metal on the wand.

Most importantly, it costs next to nothing if you already have the toothpick at home (very handy tool).

bakafish

#5: Post by bakafish »

Yes, using the toothpick is a very simple and effective way. I had ever used it to plug 2 holes on my Cremina. Now I use a EXPOBAR steam wand to replace the stock one, just a little better, but ugly.

The steam tip is not a stock EXPOBAR tip, somewhat similar with a foam knife.

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

That's a strange lever arm.. oh wait, it's the steam wand! :lol:

So, how'd you like them nano-bubbles??

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#7: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

Lovely, Ken! I realize that non-original arms will no longer properly look the part, as pretty much all options are larger (longer), but as long as it's not unsightly I'm glad to go function over form. Did you simply swap the wand straightforward? Or did you need other parts (like the spring usually found with adjustable position wands) or do any filing / modifying of your new part to make it fit?

I am okay with the concept of dropping some toothpicks in my existing wand, as I realize it's not permanent, damaging or costly. I just cannot fathom how I'm to get the toothpicks in place, as I'd have to drop them down the wand and hope they find the desired hole.. Unless I swap to a modem Cremina wand, where I can remove the tip and plug as I please, of course.
LMWDP #505

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

I think you misunderstand. The plugging is from the outside, toothpick shoved tightly into the holes and trimmed, as mentioned in a previous post. It's works but is a pretty kludgy non-permanent solution.

bakafish

#9: Post by bakafish »

weebit_nutty wrote:That's a strange lever arm.. oh wait, it's the steam wand! :lol:
The lever is removed when I am not using it because my house is too small and the lever blocks the path to the thermos behind the Cremina. :D
CrabRangoon wrote:Did you simply swap the wand straightforward? Or did you need other parts (like the spring usually found with adjustable position wands) or do any filing / modifying of your new part to make it fit?
Just used a 3/8" to 1/4" PT bushing and seal tape, no need of spring or gasket, but the EXPOBAR steam tip thread is M8.5, very strange spec. The EXPOBAR is popular in Taiwan and someone made a M8.5 to M10 thread converter to fit the Sproline steam tip, my steam tip thread is M10 as well.
weebit_nutty wrote:I think you misunderstand. The plugging is from the outside, toothpick shoved tightly into the holes and trimmed, as mentioned in a previous post.
like this. The stock steam wand can be bent. You can find the angle you like.