How Good Is A Hario Hand Grinder? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
weebit_nutty

#11: Post by weebit_nutty »

the Hario Mini Mill is highly capable and I disagree it can't grind fine enough for espresso. The only challenge with it is the grind setting. It is almost impossible to dial in perfectly. I was what I used in my initial foray into the dark world of espresso and performed admirably, albeit painfully slow to grind. But for $30 it really can't be beat.

I made my first god shot using it paired with the MyPressi Twist.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

OctagonCoffee (original poster)

#12: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Wow! thank you for the great vid! Although I don't really know about espresso, that looks like a great shot to me. Did you use the plastic tamper for the shot?

aecletec

#13: Post by aecletec »

When you get into espresso, things to look out for include how the shot begins on the edges and the lack of flow on the left hand side, rather than an even beginning and flow.

weebit_nutty

#14: Post by weebit_nutty »

OctagonCoffee wrote:Wow! thank you for the great vid! Although I don't really know about espresso, that looks like a great shot to me. Did you use the plastic tamper for the shot?
I used a standard 53mm flat tamper.

This shot was my first "god shot". I've had a few more since and long back it would not come close to the shots I'm pulling on a regular basis on my Cremina.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

pacificmanitou

#15: Post by pacificmanitou »

How good is a hario hand grinder? for your purposes, not good at all. It grinds fine enough, but takes a few minutes and hurts the hand to do. After a few months of espresso grinding the arm will strip out as well. As mentioned you can't accurately dial it in either.
LMWDP #366