Slow Roast Cool-Down Ever Useful?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Martin

#1: Post by Martin »

I'm careful about roasting to desired level, then cooling the beans quickly. Is it ever useful to allow (by design) the beans to cool more slowly?
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by SAS »

I thought it prudent to cool as rapidly as possible since you have reached your desired temperature and roast level. After talking to a successful 20+ year professional I changed my proceedure. He suggested that a slow cooling was better, so I cool in my roaster's cooling tray until warm to the touch and then finish off with my homemade 6 inch high speed fan cooler.

I have not tried to figure out if the beans taste changes depending on cooling speed. Maybe next roast I will try cooling half quickly and half slowly.

Say tuned.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Goldensncoffee

#3: Post by Goldensncoffee »

It would be really interesting to see a taste comparison between the two. Did he explain why he does a slower cooling?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

SAS wrote:I thought it prudent to cool as rapidly as possible since you have reached your desired temperature and roast level. After talking to a successful 20+ year professional I changed my proceedure. He suggested that a slow cooling was better, so I cool in my roaster's cooling tray until warm to the touch and then finish off with my homemade 6 inch high speed fan cooler.
<image>
I have not tried to figure out if the beans taste changes depending on cooling speed. Maybe next roast I will try cooling half quickly and half slowly.

Say tuned.
Maybe so as to not shock the beans?

BTW, the bean cooler you built looks good!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train