Mazzer Super Jolly problem - NOTHING is coming out

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
channis

#1: Post by channis »

Experts experts experts, I need your help!!!

Just bought a brand new Super Jolly but for some reason coffee is not coming out at all!

It is about a week old and made only about 15-20 cups. This morning i discovered it was grinding a single for about 25 secs and very little coffee was coming out. And now NOTHING is coming out. So i watched a few vids online about cleaning burrs and the inside and i did all that. And still, the grinder is definitely grinding and i can see coffee jammed inside the chute. Thought that was the problem but nope!

So the scenario is grinder is grinding, beans somehow not falling through and chute is free.

And taking to the store is not an option for me since i bought it and shipped from overseas. Might have to take it to a local dealer for inspection!

Any help is muchhhh appreciated!

Thanks
K

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

You probably have coffee trapped between the burrs. Remove what you can from the hopper to minimize wasted coffee. Move to a very coarse grind setting by loosening the collar 1/2 turn (ie turn counter clockwise). Run the grinder until something starts to come out. With a grind this coarse, eventually it will start to feed through again, unless something is completely whacked out. Which is unlikely since mazzers are built like tanks. Once it starts to feed again, adjust it back toward an espresso range WHILE THE GRINDER IS RUNNING.

In the future, always run the grinder when adjusting finer, don't go finer than you really need to, and stay away from super oily beans.

Advertisement
channis (original poster)

#3: Post by channis (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip and it worked! It was really a newbie mistake... strange thing is i had it all setup and didnt change the settings!

Is kinda hard to decide when to stop when screwing the upper burr back on. I turned all the way to fine stop then went back about half a turn and adjust from there.

Thanks again Nate and Merry Xmas!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

Also, for the future, when you clean your burrs totally of coffee, once you reassemble, those burrs will "eat" some coffee. You may grind a few grams and not notice anything come out. Consider it a sacrifice to your coffee altar and just throw in some more beans.

And keep in mind that your burrs will season, and so your grind setting may drift further than you think, keep some markings on your grinder, either for your zero point, or maybe for your expected double, it's just to have a reference point.

Glad you got it sorted out!

channis (original poster)

#5: Post by channis (original poster) »

Thanks EspressoForge!! Great idea...

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

I kept adjusting the grind in the wrong direction until I added markings, and have to confess I also managed to choke my SJ twice or so in that process...

Markings do help as a reference point, once the burrs are broken in a bit you'll probably discover that you only have to make minute grind adjustments unless you change to a different bean.
LMWDP #483