New Vesuvius espresso machine or dimmer switch mod on Expobar Brewtus

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JTownCoffee

#1: Post by JTownCoffee »

I am interested in looking into a new espresso machine. I have had a Brewtus III for about 3 or 4 years, and I am very interested in getting into some experimenting with presure profiling. I would love to pull the trigger on a Slayer, but just can't spend that kind of money. I am very interested in the Bezzera Strega and got to taste some shots on one about six months ago over at Rob Jason's house. So basically I am hoping that someone can help me understand what would be the difference in spending over 4 grand on the Vesuvius and doing the dimmer switch mod to my Brewtus. Wouldn't the dimmer switch allow me to control the pressure on my Brewtus? If I am reading the features on the Vesuvius correctly this machine does not offer flow rate control just pressure control. I know the Vesuvius would look better on my coffee bar and the programable controls would be cool, but could I achieve the same (or similar) results with a dimmer switch attached to my vibe pump? Just curious. Thanks for the help in advance.

David

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

Given the minimal cost and effort, I'd try the dimmer first. But it probably won't be as repeatable as a programmed system with feedback.

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

I thought about attempting pressure profiling with my Vetrano 2B. Since getting the Cyncra at the Roastery the V2B straight shots just haven't been able to cut it for me anymore. Oh sure decent to be sure, but not up to the shots I can get from the Cyncra. Research led to to find out that while the Vesuvius uses an E61 group, the attribute of E61 group automatic preinfusion has been defeated on the Vesuvius because it interferes with pressure profiling. So my Vesuvius just landed today. In very brief time for play I had in a very busy roasting day already matched possibly surpassed line pressure profile shots I've been getting with my Cyncra at the Roastery.

If you can afford it, why not! Then again why not play with cheaper alternatives! Slippery slope! :lol:
Mike McGinness

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u »

A dimmer switch won't give you the same control ,repeatability or functionality as the vesuvius .
The vesuvius allows the pump acceleration to be changed for one and has a different pump entirely to the Brewtus that you are you are trying to mod .
Plus you are battling against the war pre infusion works on the straight e61 group on the brewtus
By all means experiment , but I suspect it won't get you near to the same results ...
Ps vesuvius owner

JTownCoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by JTownCoffee (original poster) »

Thank you for your posts. I might get around to experimenting with the dimmer switch. When you have shots pulled on the Slayer it really spoils you and even though I have great equipment I come home and think to myself I just can't get those kinds of shots but I really want :D I think at the first of the year I will try to get into a Strega, but I am following the Vesuvius pretty close.

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee replying to JTownCoffee »

Reading doesn't really justice. Honestly I'm looking forward to setting up a head to head shoot-out with a Slayer. The Vesuvius may have made a few cosmetic cost saving design choices but (seemingly) not compromises in the guts providing pressure profiling shot capabilities. Yeah I was taken back a bit at first by a couple cosmetic niggles, but no way is this sucker leaving my Roastery for anywhere but my kitchen counter at home! Yes the Slayer is more a looker, and at twice the price. But can the Vesuvius actually match the Slayer in the cup? Time will tell but I suspect yes. I know I can definitely tweak shots better than on my Synesso Cyncra no question, and that's in only 3 days play with V. No regrets.
Mike McGinness

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge »

Sorry, can't help you to save money...I say go for the upgrade. If you want to play with pressure profiles, I don't think a dimmer mod would cut it unless you're just talking pre-infusion or so, but I could be wrong and have never used this mod before, it may end up working similar to my Strega.

I like profiling pressure on the fly with my Strega, trying to keep flow constant, but I think compared to the Vesuvius it's really manual control vs programmed. Up to you on what you think would be a better fit for you.

One other thing to think about is that it may be harder to sell off a modded machine than a stock Brewtus.

Advertisement
JTownCoffee (original poster)

#8: Post by JTownCoffee (original poster) »

That is a great point. EspressoForge, I would love to have a side by side taste test with the Strega and the Slayer or even the Vesuvius. When I was researching the Strega Jim talked a lot about the punch the Strega has at the onset of the shot. It seems that the other two machines would be a more gentle beginning to the brew process. I wonder how that changes the taste profile of the shot??

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

Preinfusion pressure for the Strega is adjustable so it doesn't have to have that "punch."
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!