Grinders and their potential for a La Pavoni - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Phasor

#11: Post by Phasor »

thevitruvianman wrote:The general consensus seems to be to get the used Vario, and I've found one that will fit in my budget. However if I could get my hands on a Pharos that they produce better grinds. I love the idea of hand grinding and that it seems to produce a fantastic grind. Do any of you all know if Barb and Doug are still making them? And about how often they have more available? Because with the Vario as an option, I don't know if I can be patient enough to refresh the orphanespresso site for a month hoping that they're still producing them while my pavoni just collects dust. Thanks again!

Hi Jake,

Doug and Barb are still making the Pharos, but when time allows (when not launching Lido 2, etc.). I own a Pharos and enjoy it tremendously. On the Pharos owner experience site someone posted a recipe for an "iffit" to notify him when the Pharos went in stock. I haven't done the process, but here is the link:
csepulv wrote:I posted the following to a different thread, but seems like it may be helpful here.

I set a notification action via IFTTT.com. If the webpage for the Pharos changed to In Stock, I get an email. I was able to order one this way, but I can't vouch for 100% reliability on the notifications. So your mileage may vary with this approach.

I've shared the ifttt recipe, in case it is useful to anyone. (Requires gmail email address, though you could probably modify/create similar for other email).

https://ifttt.com/recipes/223314-notifi ... os-grinder
Best of luck with whatever you end up buying.

pacificmanitou

#12: Post by pacificmanitou »

Please note the consensus is NOT to buy a used vario. Unless you know the usage history, it's not a safe investment. A refurb from the manufacturer is a new machine in an open box, not a used device. If you like the concept of a Pharos, wait for one. There's not a higher quality grind available.
LMWDP #366

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#13: Post by EspressoForge replying to pacificmanitou »

I'm not quite sure about that last statement. But I will say that for the price, nothing else comes even close in terms of quality seen in the cup.

His dilemma right now is possibly not being able to find a Pharos, and not having any grinder at all, but having the machine. Although patience may be in order, it would be hard for me personally to let the machine sit around.

On the Buy/Sell boards there's a couple grinders right now, I would think about picking up something used...to me, a used high-quality grinder isn't money lost, but rather just money stored. You can always flip it later and buy something cheaper to regain some money, so don't be afraid to blow up your budget!

thevitruvianman (original poster)

#14: Post by thevitruvianman (original poster) »

Patience paid off. After enough luck and waiting I ended up with a VPharos and cannot be happier. No longer are the days of underextracted preground illy pulls.
"I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."