Cup Distribution Method

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
EspressoForge
Sponsor

#1: Post by EspressoForge »

I know it's been mentioned before in other threads so no claim here that I'm being original, but thought I'd just make a simple post here for others. Apologies if someone has posted this before, I tried to search for it, but didn't find.

This method is so simple and easy and results are so good (for my setup) that it puts most other methods to shame. At least in my opinion.

Grind into something like this:

A paper/plastic cup even works pretty well.

I then swirl and shake the grounds a bit to mix them, this takes me about 5 seconds. Then pour them into a basket, making sure to dose into the corners first, the middle takes care of itself. After that I level and tamp, with widely varying technique. But seems to give me roughly the same pour every time. The critical steps for this are mixing somewhat well, and the dosing into the basket. If you just dump into the basket without much care, you may be likely to get un-even extractions. The shake/mix in the pitcher takes care of spritzes on a bottomless PF.

The whole process takes me all of 15-20s, the only part I'd like to improve would be a pitcher/cup with a better spout, something that would pour a bit more accurately, although right now is OK, I think it could be better.