Espresso Machine & Grinder Upgrade Advice, Budget Around $1500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sgtsassafras

#1: Post by sgtsassafras »

I'm looking to upgrade my current espresso setup from it's meager standard to something that can produce worthwhile & consistent results. I'd like to make this a significant upgrade that doesn't leave me seeking something new in a couple years from now.

Currently I am using a Saeco Aroma (w/de-pressurized portafilter) & a Baratza Encore grinder. My understanding, as I have seen repeated countless times on these forums, is that the grinder is more important to making quality espresso as opposed to the espresso machine. Considering that I have spent more time researching the grinder selection than the machine itself - I also found what appeared to be a greater consensus on the grinders than the machines.

I was looking to spend approximately $500 dollars on a grinder - this value could go up if there was a significant return on investment by moving up the price point. As far as I can tell the best choice would be the Baratza Vario. I understand the Mazzer Super Jolly has a huge following, but this would not practically fit anywhere in my kitchen, and since there doesn't seem to be any discernible difference in flavor between the two, I believe the Vario would be a better choice. I am still open to suggestions on other grinders, along with any corrections or feedback on my conclusions. One question I have regarding the Vario itself, is if it is worth upgrading to the "W" for the weighing function. Currently I do no weigh my doses, is this something I should consider in order to improve my shot quality?

As for the espresso machine, I am somewhat uncertain of my price point, say $600 - $900. A few years back when I bought the Saeco Aroma, I found so many positive reviews on the Rancilio Silvia that I was considering getting that instead. Since I was new to this I decided to get something cheaper, gain a better understand, and then upgrade from there. Since then I have read some insightful criticisms of the Silvia, and it appears there are better options such as the Crossland CC1. These are the two units I have heard about consistently, are there others I should be comparing?

I was also interested in the La Pavoni Europiccola, due to simple and durable design and manual function. My impression of the La Pavoni was that while it may have lower lows than units in it's price point, the highs would also be higher - based on the operator's skill level. One major concern I have with the La Pavoni is the overheating that I have read much about, I will typically pull 3 double shots every morning, and I was afraid this would be problematic for this machine.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

sgtsassafras wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my current espresso setup from it's meager standard to something that can produce worthwhile & consistent results. I'd like to make this a significant upgrade that doesn't leave me seeking something new in a couple years from now.

Goodluck with this! It's something most around here never attain. I believe I finally have...then again there's always something out there that catches my eye. Now I'm looking for a small lever to add to my system maybe as a travel machine..
I was looking to spend approximately $500 dollars on a grinder - this value could go up if there was a significant return on investment by moving up the price point. As far as I can tell the best choice would be the Baratza Vario. I understand the Mazzer Super Jolly has a huge following, but this would not practically fit anywhere in my kitchen, and since there doesn't seem to be any discernible difference in flavor between the two, I believe the Vario would be a better choice. I am still open to suggestions on other grinders, along with any corrections or feedback on my conclusions. One question I have regarding the Vario itself, is if it is worth upgrading to the "W" for the weighing function. Currently I do no weigh my doses, is this something I should consider in order to improve my shot quality?
The Vario is a great option, you can pick up one new around $450, or you can get one as a factory refurb from Baratza for a bit of a deal if your comfortable with that. I did like my SJ more than the Vario, but just because I appreciate the solidness of it's build, rock-solid grind setting adjustment...and didn't care about the size. If you take off the hopper the size is much more manageable, but still it's quite large. Then again, a tiny grinder next to a huge machine is somewhat comical looking...
As for the espresso machine, I am somewhat uncertain of my price point, say $600 - $900. A few years back when I bought the Saeco Aroma, I found so many positive reviews on the Rancilio Silvia that I was considering getting that instead. Since I was new to this I decided to get something cheaper, gain a better understand, and then upgrade from there. Since then I have read some insightful criticisms of the Silvia, and it appears there are better options such as the Crossland CC1. These are the two units I have heard about consistently, are there others I should be comparing?
I would personally skip the Silvia (and single SBDU boilers in general)...I think you'll waste a lot of time fiddling with it, and eventually upgrade anyway. Try to go with an entry level HX machine, or look for something around $1k in the used market a bit better. I'm not sure on the full market, but I used to own a Bezzera BZ-07 and loved it. Very good machine, but there's a lot out there. There's an entry level double boiler called the Brewtus you could look into, I'm not up to date on it...but I think HX works great and in general are pretty easy to use. Just my opinion here...I know a lot of people will defend Silvia, and when comparing to single boiler machines, I think she's great, once you step up a bit, HX really simplifies things.
I was also interested in the La Pavoni Europiccola, due to simple and durable design and manual function. My impression of the La Pavoni was that while it may have lower lows than units in it's price point, the highs would also be higher - based on the operator's skill level. One major concern I have with the La Pavoni is the overheating that I have read much about, I will typically pull 3 double shots every morning, and I was afraid this would be problematic for this machine.
First of all, new europiccola's aren't that great in my opinion. Even if you discount that, they are difficult to use. Let's say that again...difficult to the point of frustrating. Next, your first shot is generally sour from being too cold. 2nd shot has the chance at perfection. 3rd, is getting too warm...4th, well break out the cold wash cloth. I had a Pre-Millenium Europiccola, and while I liked it for a while, I most definitely upgraded. If it was a secondary machine that you wanted to have fun with, I would say go for it, but purchase a pre-millenium used.

Other than that, my other advice is...go for a grinder first. Consider spending your entire budget on it. Take your $900 from your planned machine, add it to the $500, and get an amazing titan-class grinder (Compak K10? Maybe something else? I like my HG-One...but it is manual). Never look back. Keep your current espresso machine and marvel at how much better the coffee becomes. Then look into different coffees, water quality, baskets, practice...etc. Try to improve your setup with the small things. At some point, if you get bored and get itchy fingers, try out a used small lever. Caravel or a Peppina. They have a lot of charm and may hold your interest. Save most of your cash, and eventually buy the final machine you'll ever want.

This is how I got rid of upgraditis, I just upgraded a lot :( I know, that's not really getting rid of it, it's probably just in remission...

Advertisement
sgtsassafras (original poster)

#3: Post by sgtsassafras (original poster) »

After further review I am pretty set on the Vario as my grinder. Considering the cost, quality of grind, and size - I don't see any other choice that meets my needs.

As for espresso machines I have considered several, listed below by highest to lowest price.

Quickmill Anito - Chris's Coffee
Faema Carisma - Chris's Coffee
Bezzera BZ10 - WLL
Lelit Mara - 1st Line
Expobar Office Lever - WLL

I am really having trouble making a decision because I can't differentiate much between these units. The only differences that seem substantial are with the Bezzera which is not using an E61 and does not have lever control. Can anyone chime in with feedback on what would separate these models in terms of performance and quality?

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

Now that you've chosen the Baratza Vario grinder, it would require upping your machine budget a bit, but consider the Breville BES920XL, or even the BES900XL. Many people consider those to be the best value in machines these days, just as the Vario clearly offers the best value in grinders. Others will chime in, or just go and check out the many threads in the Forums discussing the Breville double boilers. You'd have to spend another $1500 over that combo to get to the next tier in espresso machinery.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Breville 920: http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-dual-boiler-v2.html. It comes in a couple of additional colors if WAF plays a part in your selection.
- John

LMWDP # 577

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

sgtsassafras wrote:After further review I am pretty set on the Vario as my grinder. Considering the cost, quality of grind, and size - I don't see any other choice that meets my needs.

As for espresso machines I have considered several, listed below by highest to lowest price.

Quickmill Anito - Chris's Coffee
Faema Carisma - Chris's Coffee
Bezzera BZ10 - WLL
Lelit Mara - 1st Line
Expobar Office Lever - WLL

I am really having trouble making a decision because I can't differentiate much between these units. The only differences that seem substantial are with the Bezzera which is not using an E61 and does not have lever control. Can anyone chime in with feedback on what would separate these models in terms of performance and quality?
I would go with the BZ10, you can get it from 1st line if that matters, I've heard WLL customer service isn't great, but I have no direct experience.

The anito would be good as well from Chris Coffee, they have fantastic service.

The others...I would probably skip and don't seem as popular, so resell would be a bit down. Although you may not care about that.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

You should consider the BDB 920 as well as the machines on your list. It's quite a bit more user friendly than those, and has much better ergonomics.

It's a better machine in the cup than the Vario, in the sense that it can take advantage of a considerably better grinder. If you have worries about "build quality" engendered by some of the negative commenters on CG, the BDBs is the same as the Vario's.

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't buy the Vario. It's a great grinder, huge bang for the buck in the cup and in nearly every "use." But there's no free lunch, those things come at the price of durability.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator