Mazzer Mini sale at Illy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zookeeper

#1: Post by zookeeper »

I came across a thread from a few years back about a sale that Illy was running on their site for a Mazzer Mini for $375. I guess being an old thread it wouldn't let me post in it, so I had to create another one. Sorry.
Has anyone come across a sale like that recently or anticipating one in the near future? Because I have this 'condition' where I refuse to pay more for something that I've seen for a certain price in the past, haha. Just ask my kid..she's been waiting on a bike for a year because I saw an expired groupon for 50%off, so that's all I'll pay :p
I know a true coffee aficionado wouldn't be so concerned on the price of something they really wanted/needed, so incase you're wondering whats up, I'm not the coffee fiend in the house. But my gf is, and its a gift for her. So I'm willing to hold out for a bit. At least until Feb, or so...

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

My thoughts are don't be such a tight a..

That is a good sale and while I don't think you should pay retail, it was a good sale and when it happens again who knows.

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

As an alternative, you could buy her a refurbished Vario from Baratza for even less, to get access to grind quality in a similar class. (Some folks say the Vario has an edge over the Mini, but not having tried both side-by-side, I can't confirm that personally.)
LMWDP #435

zookeeper (original poster)

#4: Post by zookeeper (original poster) »

I'm not a tight... believe me. I just bought her a BZ07 for Christmas. I just dont like paying more for something than I have to. Who does? And like I said, it would have been a non issue had I not come across that sale Illy ran a few yrs back. And noticing it was right around the same time of year, I figured I'd try my luck.
I was actually hoping her few year old Bodum would hold out until Valentine's Day or her birthday in Feb, but it looks like it just quit on her about a wk ago. So thats why I thought I would start my search now.
I've read A LOT of comparisons and debates on the Vario vs the Mini, both on this site and others. The older I get the more I can appreciate the build quality of a product over outright performance. Especially the way everything is made so cheaply these days and the throwaway society we live in. So thats why I'm kind of leaning towards the Mazzer.
The other issue is that the refurb on the Baratza site only ships to the US, and I'm up here in Canada.

portamento

#5: Post by portamento »

That sale is five years old. It's not going to happen again, sorry. Generally, the price of Mazzer grinders has crept UP over the years, not down. We are talking about a machine that is built to last a lifetime. It is not a flat screen TV with "Black Friday Doorbuster" deals. The $550 price currently available on the Illy site is already lower than any other online sellers, so I don't think you can go wrong.

As far as the gifting aspect goes -- I received a Mazzer Mini as a gift from my girlfriend a few years ago when I was really starting to get obsessed with home espresso. Obviously she blew her budget, but I was over the moon. It was a really impressive gift that I will never part with, even though I have acquired all kinds of coffee equipment since then. We're married now.

If your girlfriend appreciates the lasting quality of commercial-grade appliances, a Mazzer mini is similar to a high-end KitchenAid stand mixer in that sense.

The recommendation for a Baratza Vario is an okay one. It is actually easier to use than the Mazzer, but it doesn't have even close to the same high-end bulletproof build quality. In a few years it will probably be broken down or resold, whereas the Mazzer can live in the family forever. I do own a Vario by the way and it's a decent performing grinder for the price. Just a different type of purchase.
Ryan

#6: Post by zookeeper (original poster) »

I understand your point and am in agreement. Trust me, we don't buy Chinese slave goods around this house anymore. Unless its a computer screen or something you cant get from anywhere else. We blew the 'budget' on a handmade Bertazzoni range from Italy for our kitchen reno because we wanted something that's going to last 30yrs and not 5.
I didnt mean it had to be on for $375 again (I said that more jokingly than anything). I just havent been around the coffee 'scene' for long enough to know if its something that happens every year or whatever. A lot of places run the same sales at the same time annually. And when you're talking hundreds/thousands of dollars, even 10-15% off is a deal.

portamento

#7: Post by portamento »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Totally understand wanting to get the best price possible. Personally, I have not seen a price lower than $550 in years.
Ryan

#8: Post by zookeeper (original poster) »

Alright... thanks. Kind of what I was getting at. Just wanted to know if anyone that's around this stuff all the time has seen anything out there lately. Like I said, I dont even drink coffee myself. Although I was having like 5-6 espresso shots/day a few yrs back when we were in Rome and enjoyed that. But, 'When in Rome,' I guess...