Clive Coffee, TESTED new Quick Mill Lucca M58 (vs Profitec 700 Pro!)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
benpiff

#1: Post by benpiff »

Edit 2: Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I've been lent a LUCCA M58 to test in my home, starts on page 7. Send me questions and requests!
Edit: this thread will show numerous tests (Vesuvius, Compak essential, newly re-cased Macap MXD, etc) from recent visits to Clive Coffee, so make sure to scroll through all the pages and post your thoughts.

I know I'm not the only one drooling over Clive Coffee's newly released Lucca M58 by Quick Mill and the A53s by La Spaziale, and today I was given free reign to play in their new meeting space. I haven't felt this much like a kid in a candy store since...last time I went to Clive. But this time, in addition to the usual flagship GS3, Duetto, Vivaldis, K30 varios, etc...they had all the Luccas warmed up, a brand new Profitec Pro 700, AND a brand new Vesuvius (ran out of time, but will go back soon).

I didn't really go there with any questions, but I wanted to see how it compared to my recently sold Rocket R58 and Vetrano 2B (both of which I've been really happy with). But anyway, here's a video http://youtu.be/wGTLyfz7fzU of a great ristretto. And I'll post some pictures below. This is their pre-production prototype, which is why the PID display is the wrong colors. But interacting with it was cool (actual metal buttons!), and uniquely refreshing compared to the standard units that come on every other machine. Not sure why, but the pump on Lucca was noticeably quieter than my 2B. And the joystick controls are pretty interesting, although I definitely need more practice with them (and will probably lower the steam boiler pressure on my next visit, because I steam small volumes). Look at that portafilter! It weighs twice as much as the bottomless!

The case is also really different than the Vetrano, and the rounded edges, curved panels, cup rails, wider legs and symmetrical gauges/switches add a lot of refinement and presence. Not that either is lacking in the R58, Vetrano, etc. But in comparing the M58 to others, it seems like every detail is exactly how you'd want it, in the place you'd want it, in the color, size and symmetry. With Clive offering $250 coupons and an extra $100 off, you're going to be hearing A LOT more about these machines throughout the holidays and early next year.

Advertisement
keno

#2: Post by keno »

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting.

What are they doing with a Profitec and Vesuvius? Are they going to be carrying these machines or just testing out the competition? I don't see either of them listed on their website.

Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Nice machine love the fit and finish.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#4: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Keno,
Indeed we are carrying both the Vesuvius and Profitec Pro 700 (a few more in the works too). We just launched a new site and have a few new products in queue to be added to the site...

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

Def want to hear more on the M58, damn it looks nice.

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

clivecoffee wrote:Hi Keno,
Indeed we are carrying both the Vesuvius and Profitec Pro 700 (a few more in the works too). We just launched a new site and have a few new products in queue to be added to the site...
Rats didn't know or would have driven over and picked one up, Vesuvius still not on website. Oh well, ordered Sunday ETA Monday 12/15 from Chris Coffee.
Mike McGinness

cmin

#7: Post by cmin »

So this is basically the 2B just in an new exterior case? I also really like the PID casing design and metal buttons, as generally the PIDS on these prosumer machines looking like an afterthought slapped on which gives machines kinda cheap look. This looks super nice! I've also considered the Profitec 700, would love to hear a review or thoughts comparing the two.

Advertisement
benpiff (original poster)

#8: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

They're identical internally, but everything on the outside apart from the group is changed.

@cmin, is there anything else specific you'd like me to find out? I bet a lot more opinions will be posted after the Home Barista gathering on the 28th. I really liked my first interactions with the Profitec too, it reminded me a bit of the layout of my old Astra Gourmet (lots of room, everything beautiful in and industrial way). Apparently what really sets it apart is the way its put together inside, will have to get some photos and videos of that next time. But I had the exact same thoughts when looking between these two machines. This segment of the market is so similar, but when looking closely, I wonder if anyone said "This is just the right spot for this, and this is the perfect part and color to do it!" Maybe I'm overthinking it due to caffeine and being steeped in the Clive atmosphere, but these small details sometimes feel like they were decided by committee without too much time invested. I think the R58 was one of the first to really change that, but there are some things about it that aren't quiet as good as the Profitec or Lucca (sound/noise, steam knob function, drip tray size).

I may start a separate thread for the Profitec and their other new machines, or maybe I'll add it in here (what do you think would be better?). But it's as good of a steamer as I've ever used (in the ease of microfoam and avoiding large bubbles). I only pulled a couple shots with it before I ran out of time, and I do like how much room there is for cups (or to watch the bottomless action).

F1

#9: Post by F1 »

@ benpiff

You said you sold your R58 and Vetrano 2B. May I ask why and what do you currently have? How did the R58 compare to the Vetrano?

malling

#10: Post by malling »

You are not going to look at the interior on a daily basis, so it doesn't really matter that much, as long as you can maintain and repair it without to much hassle.

There is really not that much difference between the 4; Izzo, Quickmill, Rocket and ECM/Profitec (manufactured by Bezzera), all of them can design and pull out fantastic looking machines, if they have to. And all of them will pull espresso of similar quality, the biggest difference between these, is found on the ability to steam without losing to much pressure. Izzo although having one of the biggest boilers, is slow and has a serious drop in pressure, when steaming bigger quantities of milk, Quickmill and Rocket are what I have seen and experienced, slightly better in this regard, but Quickmill is not exactly a speed demon in recovering on the brew-boiler side, most because of it's conservative PID setting, but it is never going to overshoot the target temperature, by a degree .

What you are getting is a different design and internal layout, and hardly much more, as many of the components used in this class of machines, are the same or of comparable quality.

sure it looks nice with a custom made PID, but it will set you back allot more when it needs to be replaced! if you can still get it, that is.

Buy the one that is cheapest, and use the money saved on a better grinder, is really the best advice I can give, if the price is almost the same, then purchase the better looking one. I'm not sure I would pay 600 dollars more for basically the same machine, but if you can get a introduction discount then of cause it's another matter.