Artisan Phidget probe for Huky 500

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
docholiday

#1: Post by docholiday »

I took the plunge and ordered a Huky. I'm ordering a Phidget 1048 to interface with Artisan. I ordered some probes from Mr. Li with the Huky, but thought I might as well order a couple along with my Phidget. They offer "bead" and "immersion" K-Type probes with various temperature specs. Does anyone have any advice on the best probes to use for this configuration? Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks, Darren.

Zircote

#2: Post by Zircote »

I have a revolution 500 propane roaster and recently added a 1048 and a couple of immersion K-type probes.
I went with the immersion type so that I could get the tip of the probe deeper into the drum and in the tumbling coffee beans.
I removed the front of my machine and made a clear plastic replacement.
With the gas off and the drum running I tried different charge sizes that I would normally roast and watched to see where the probe could be placed so that it would always be covered by the moving coffee and not interfere with the vanes on the inside of the drum.
The front of the machine has 2 tapped holes and one would work for the 2.5" probes I got.
The probe just needed to be bent into an arch to get to the spot.
I replaced the front and bent the probe to fit.
The second tapped hole works for the ET probe with no additional adjustment.
Hope that helps.

edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

I take it you ordered the Huky with K-type TC's in all three positions. Those TC's are nicely priced, good quality and are already sitting where they are supposed to be. (Why reinvent the wheel?) I started out with the Center 301 meter sold by mr. Li, but soon replaced it with a Phidget 1048. (Nothing wrong with the Center meter, I just feel more confident with the Phidget, as it's powered via the usb cable.) Both solutions give correct values and are equally responsive (enough for use in a roaster anyhow...). The only obvious difference is that I can connect all three TC's to the phidget, while there is only two connections on the Center meter.
There are many pictures if you search this forum for e.g. Huky + TC. Anyhow there is plenty of good reading and many tips to be found just by browsing the forum. (Shipping from Taiwan to Sweden took a couple of days, while customs and shipping inside Sweden took close to a week. :o Plenty of time to read up on how to get started with the new toy... Starting with seasoning the drum is recommended.)

docholiday (original poster)

#4: Post by docholiday (original poster) »

I appreciate the comments guys. I hope he sends K Type probes, I don't remember discussing the type of probe with him. He said it's been shipped so it's too late to change anything now. That's why for a small amount extra I thought about ordering a few probes from Phidget.

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

I don't think you have to worry. If you didn't specify another type of TC, you will get K-type probes.

bean2friends

#6: Post by bean2friends replying to edtbjon »

I agree!