La Bambina - Removing Piston from Lever - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
desertjava (original poster)

#11: Post by desertjava (original poster) »

Seacoffee wrote:Agreed about being extremely careful.
Yes, unfortunately, this project has already drawn a little blood. Proceeding with utmost care from here on out! :shock:

#12: Post by desertjava (original poster) »

Francisco's tool...$18 at Home Depot

#13: Post by desertjava (original poster) »

So, I wanted to update this and announce the completion(safely). I ended up finding a very willing and helpful partner/friend who was able to help and keep me safe.
We originally tried using just a clamp but it became obvious that the tool needed to be built. Once taken out all parts were in quite good condition. As had been advised here, putting the spring back in was more daunting than removing it. My friend came up with an ingenious idea of using heavy gauge kite string to keep the spring compressed. The only drawback was removing the three loops of string once the spring was back in the group head. This was accomplished with two pairs of hands and an exacto-knife.
The machine is doing well and pulling wonderful shots. Since this is my first complete deconstruct I am left with a couple questions.
How much lubricant is needed and where should it be placed? I put it lightly on both gaskets(porta, piston head) and a light shmear on the inside of the group "tunnel"?

Also...although I was happy to pay Francisco for these gaskets, I am wondering if there is a local and easier way to source these in the U.S.?

day

#14: Post by day »

I am waiting to see a fully finished picture man, dont keep us in suspense!

Congratulations though...after nearly...very nearly, decapitating myself working on a garage door, I try to avoid spring tension at all cost....

Would have been terrible to have died saving 50 bucks on a Lowe's repair guy....Glad you didnt have any near decapitations ;)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#15: Post by desertjava (original poster) »

day wrote:I am waiting to see a fully finished picture man, dont keep us in suspense!
Asked and answered...still fiddling with the grind but makes a nice smooth shot!

crazy4espresso

#16: Post by crazy4espresso »

Cool. We don't see too many La Bambina's around here.
I see you're missing the drip tray grid. Check with "Rotchitos" (Vincent). He fabricated a few awhile back and may have a spare.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

donn

#17: Post by donn »

I love it. I'm sort of haunted by the memory of a La Bambina at a weekend outdoor 2nd hand market. It was a little rough looking, and I walked away, but later as I puzzled over how it probably worked, I saw the beautiful simplicity of the design in a blinding flash of illumination -- heat the whole thing to brew temperature, what a concept! I returned every weekend hoping for another chance at La Bambina, but of course she was gone forever, and eventually replaced in my heart - sort of - by a Zerowatt with its own charms and also made in Spain.

The plug looks odd, but it's 110V?