Replacing heating element of old La Pavoni Europiccola

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lewen.ninemire

#1: Post by lewen.ninemire »

I have a 1978-1983 Europiccola and the heating element has gone out in it. In my reading I have found that this is a pretty common problem. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take the old electrical system out of it, including the burned out element, and put in a new electrical system from a newer model with the heating element that goes with the newer model? I hope that makes sense!

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

I think you need only replace the heating element, with one like this:

http://www.espressocare.com/products/it ... nt-4-prong

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

Many, maybe most, of the 1978 Europiccolas have screw on elements like the 1961-1974 group type ones. Others of that year and later have elements that bolt to flanges. I am not sure when they went from fine threads to coarse threads. I always thought it was when La Pavoni changed the boiler design around 1982 or 1983 to the "lipped" variety--the threads to mount the cap are recessed in earlier ones and the boilers have "lips" after that point. Maybe someone knows for sure and can reply to this post.

If you have a screw on element you have a serious problem, because you will have to locate a fine thread flange, and they are made of "9999 fine Unobtainium," as someone described them. However, I understand that there is apparently a place in Europe that sells ones that they make. If yours do not have a screw on element you are in luck! You can locate the flange mounts with two heating elements easily.

pizzigri

#4: Post by pizzigri »

lewen.ninemire wrote:I have a 1978-1983 Europiccola and the heating element has gone out in it. In my reading I have found that this is a pretty common problem. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take the old electrical system out of it, including the burned out element, and put in a new electrical system from a newer model with the heating element that goes with the newer model? I hope that makes sense!
Yeah! it does. Let me advertise my post a bit:
La Pavoni Europiccola Rebuild... sort of different.
Look at the picture with the new wiring and HE under the base.
And, for you it's going to be a lot simpler to do so, since most of the problems people encounter in doing this mod is finding the bolt-on flange. You should have it already...
rpavlis wrote:Many, maybe most, of the 1978 Europiccolas have screw on elements like the 1961-1974 group type ones. Others of that year and later have elements that bolt to flanges.
Most probably Lewen has a bolt on flange, since he stated that he has a 1978-83 model.
From the outside, pre '90s Europiccola models that use the screw on HE have can be recognized by the type of base they have:
older and nicer cast aluminum base (easily recognizable because of the more inclined base sides and absence of a screw in the middle of the drip tray), all use the screw-on HE (including the Professional), while the stamped sheet steel base use the bolt-on flange - the switch to bolt on flanges has been in fact made when the EP and professional introduced the stamped sheet steel base in 1978.
Although, he can solve the rebus easily, just open it up, and post the image here!
rpavlis wrote: I am not sure when they went from fine threads to coarse threads. I always thought it was when La Pavoni changed the boiler design around 1982 or 1983 to the "lipped" variety--the threads to mount the cap are recessed in earlier ones and the boilers have "lips" after that point. Maybe someone knows for sure and can reply to this post.
Well, the change in Europiccola according to Francesco (and I can confirm it in all these years) has been made since the fine threading did not hold when in La Pavoni they decided to switch to polymer boiler flanges. The plastic stripped too easily, so they moved from 1.25 to 1.5mm thread. That was around 1995-96, again according to Francesco.

Before that, there had been thread changes in the professional range (there are five, repeat FIVE known flange codes that differ in threading. A couple of these are only for the Professional, and don't fit anything else).

lewen.ninemire (original poster)

#5: Post by lewen.ninemire (original poster) »

Thank you pizzigri! This helps me out alot I hope mine will go as well as yours!