Apres La Pavoni PC-16 - what next?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

A while ago I bought a LaPavoni PC-16 and found myself on a journey instead of being at the table sipping shots with my wife. Along the way I discovered I needed a OE Pharos and that sent me on a new journey. These paths met and then I became acutely aware of the need for temperature control. Temperature control seems to explain the difference between miracle shots and "let me choke this down." We prefer a dark roast, one that gives those dark chocolate hints in the miracle shot.

Then friends stopped in and experienced the fruits of my lessons learned. Now I need to move to a bigger machine. My mission is typically two double shots, but I need the ability to do four, consistent double shots close enough together that we can all drink them at the same time. I think that means 2 min per shot. The review of the Strega fits this and I think the Strega also will give me temperature control. And, I like the lever idea based on my PC-16 experience. But I am unable to plumb it in - will that affect anything?

I'd pull the trigger on a Strega, but I'm wondering if the QM Vetrano 2B, Cellini V3, or Giotto be a better fit for what I need? I want to buy one more machine and I have the added pressure from my wife who can't understand machines that cost more than we've bought cars for, or having a rack of these things to pick from.

I'm also looking for a proven machine with a number of support options. The Londinium is a proven machine, but doesn't seem to have the support compared to Bezzera, Quick Mill, or Rocket. And, I'm partial to my Pharos - are there any concerns that it's unable to do what these machines need?

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema (original poster) »

I found that the lever in the Strega was impossible to fit under my counters and my wife wouldn't budge to put it on the kitchen island. So, I had to bail on the Strega. I ended up going with an ECM Technika IV after more research. I chose Hx over double boiler for simplicity, and the times that I need to four doubles back to back isn't enough to go to a full commercial system.

I will see how it goes, but I'm liking the idea of adding Eric's thermocouple already.