My Rocket now only makes nasty espresso. [SOLVED] - Page 11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chipman

#101: Post by chipman »

Did the OP ever solve his issue? After all the help he got, I'm sure there would be some interest in how this ended.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#102: Post by EspressoForge »

I'll admit...if it was me I would have upgraded already. If it solved the problem with rest of prep and basket the same...I'd still like to know why, but lower priority at that point.

Hopefully OP finds the cause.

Advertisement
F1 (original poster)

#103: Post by F1 (original poster) »

I still have the problem. The last thing I did was dissassamble the E-61 Group and the boiler. I borrowed an air compressor to blow air into all the E-61s holes, HX pipes and boiler HX. Nothing came out that I could see. All clean zero scale. Since the last post I have tried several coffees(Red Bird, Hologram, Big Trouble, Novo espresso, Boxcar Stella). All tasted horrible. I have gone to my favorite espresso bar in Denver(Crema) and I have had several shots of these very same espressos except for Red Bird and they tasted just like they used to at home several months ago before the problem. I tried different brands of water even though Aquafina is what I had been using for well over a year without issues.

The problem is still the same. I get a very even extraction, but halfway through the extraction the cone just gets bigger. It doesn't get that much bigger. It's not an explosion , but just enough that I noticed a significant visual change. It's like there is a sudden increase in pressure even though the brew pressure gauge stays the same. It is like textbook channeling. Same result out my three grinders(K10, Super Jolly, B. Vario). Again, over 12 months without issues and then all of a sudden I have not been able to make a drinkable shot. Not once.

I just gave up. I am in the process of getting a LUCCA M58.

F1 (original poster)

#104: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Machine FIXED. For real this time.

I received a few parts that I ordered directly from Rocket since I couldn't find any dealers that would carry them. These parts make a big part of the hydraulic system in the machine.

1. Hydraulic Block.
2. Boiler Fill Solenoid.
3. 2 One Way Valve.
4. Slim Expansion Valve.

This Photo shows the old parts:

During initial troubleshooting several months ago I changed a lot of parts in the machine and nothing helped. I had given up on the machine so I bought a Rocket R58 V2. While the R58 could pull shots as good as the Giotto(when it worked) I wasn't happy with the steam performance. I sent the R58 back to the dealer for a refund in order to wait for the LUCCA M58 to be back in stock. In the meantime I decided to give the Giotto one last try, so I ordered these parts which I always suspected could be the cause of the problem.

For 4 days straight I have been pulling excellent shots with the Giotto. Even the ones that are not so great are way better than what I was getting. Just like I remember and this time is not a fluke. I am not 100% sure which of the part or parts was the culprit, but I suspect it was one or both of the One Way Valves. I think they were letting some of the flow go back into the tank and causing the shot to taste just like when it is channeling.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#105: Post by FotonDrv »

Congratulations!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train