La Marzocco GS/3 with wet steam - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Runaro (original poster)

#11: Post by Runaro (original poster) »

I believe that the water level sensor is set to minimum, at least the outside tab is pointing straight down. I am using a sproline foam knife now, I have also tried a slow flow tip, however the steam is very wet.

Peppersass

#12: Post by Peppersass »

If you had acceptable steam before, and don't now, it's possible that your steam valve is beginning to leak. That's pretty common after a few years of use. Although it's normal to get some bubbling at the tip after you close the valve, if the "runny nose" seems to be getting worse the valve may be worn and it's time for a rebuild.

La Marzocco sells a rebuild kit that will take care of it. I ordered one from espressoparts recently because it was considerably cheaper than LM USA's price, but it was marked as a special order item and they still haven't shipped it. You should be able to buy a rebuild kit from the LM USA website, but it'll cost a bit more.

Bob_M

#13: Post by Bob_M »

I thought I mentioned this but I can see I didn't. I had same problem. Chris Coffee told me most common reasons are. Scale build up on fill indicator and dirt in the inlet solenoid. I had the latter problem. Solenoid is located upper center on tea water dispenser side of machine or right if ur facing the front. It has red and white wires going into it. Turn water off. Unscrew the top brass device and inspect. It's easy.

Runaro (original poster)

#14: Post by Runaro (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for the tip I will check right away :D

Peppersass

#15: Post by Peppersass »

Bob_M wrote:I thought I mentioned this but I can see I didn't. I had same problem. Chris Coffee told me most common reasons are. Scale build up on fill indicator and dirt in the inlet solenoid. I had the latter problem. Solenoid is located upper center on tea water dispenser side of machine or right if ur facing the front. It has red and white wires going into it. Turn water off. Unscrew the top brass device and inspect. It's easy.
Scale build up on the level probe makes sense, but I don't see how dirt in the inlet solenoid could result in wet steam. Presumably that would restrict the flow rate and it would just take longer to autofill the boiler.

Bob_M

#16: Post by Bob_M »

As I understand it the solenoid acts to shut off water once the tanks are "full". If water keeps seeping in it can over fill the steam boiler. I know this can happen because it happened to me. There was so little spec of black stuff in the chamber. When I removed it and reinstalled the problem was solved.

Peppersass

#17: Post by Peppersass replying to Bob_M »

To be precise, the solenoid only shuts off water to the steam boiler. There's no input shutoff for the coffee boiler.

I can see where a contaminated solenoid can cause wet steam if the leak is intermittent. But if the leak is continuous, the boiler would eventually fill up and you would get water out of the steam wand -- no steam at all. If there's any pressure behind the leak, then once the boiler fills up the steam boiler OPV would trip and you'd see water streaming into the drain box. But if it's a really small leak there might not be sufficient pressure to trip the OPV.

Runaro (original poster)

#18: Post by Runaro (original poster) »

Problem solved. When comparing my waterlevel probe with the picture earlier in this thread I noticed that the bend on my probe was closer to the tip. This results in a shorter downward pointing tip. After some bending everything works better. Thanks for the help. :D

Bob_M

#19: Post by Bob_M replying to Runaro »

Hi... Glad you got it fixed