Hunting for a burr grinder, budget around $50

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Riceman42

#1: Post by Riceman42 »

A friend asked me to give him suggestions for an electric burr grinder around $50. As of now he exclusively brews with an AeroPress (w/ paper filters). I've done some hunting, but for grinders of this price range it is difficult for me to discern what is going to be a decent option. I'm looking for some recommendations.

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Decent electric that cheap doesn't exist to my knowledge. About your best bet is a refurbed Baratza Encore $99. Or possibly Capresso 550 Infinity also ~$100. I had the now ~$50 Capresso grinder once years ago, took it back after a day.

Decent grind $50 price point hand grinder really hand grinder.
Mike McGinness

benpiff

#3: Post by benpiff »

Second hand Starbucks burr or other rebranded Baratza/Solis should be easy at that price point (Goodwill for less, or eBay), along with the Capresso Infinity. The Capresso has at least one plastic burr though, so I'd probably trust the others more.

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 replying to benpiff »

The infinity isn't plastic, unless there is something new about it.

benpiff

#5: Post by benpiff »

I stand corrected, it's been a number of years since I had one, and it replaced an ancient plastic burr'd Cuisinart.

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee replying to benpiff »

Suspect you meant plastic burr carrier not plastic burrs!
Mike McGinness

Riceman42 (original poster)

#7: Post by Riceman42 (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I told him to consider investing more and buying a Baratza Encore. I also warned him to be cautious of annoying ceramic burrs often found in hand grinders. They wear down, especially with light roast beans, as did mine on my Porlex Mini.