OE LIDO 2 - How to Oil the Knob?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SlowRain

#1: Post by SlowRain »

I'm breaking in my LIDO 2 at the moment, and the knob is still stiff. I've removed the knob from the handle/funnel by turning counterclockwise, and I oiled in there. That helped a bit, but I can still tell there's some stiffness where the screw/shaft goes up into the knob itself. I tried to put some oil along the edge and spin it around upside down, hoping the oil would work it's way along the shaft and into the knob. That didn't seem to make much of a difference. How are you getting oil up into the knob to loosen it up? Is there a video on YouTube that I'm just not finding?

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

The knob is press fit onto the post. A good firm tug upwards should remove it. I put a drop of mineral oil into the hole in the knob and replaced it, and that did the trick for me.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
bakafish

#3: Post by bakafish »

I tried Super Lube and silicon oil, but they did not help much. I finally drilled it to expand the hole diameter a bit, much better.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

[creative nickname] wrote:The knob is press fit onto the post. A good firm tug upwards should remove it. I put a drop of mineral oil into the hole in the knob and replaced it, and that did the trick for me.
Same here, but cleaned it up with ethyl alcohol before re-oiling. Mine was out on loan for several month, came back slightly broken-in. I've got the rubber fishing reel cover on it, it's comfortable enough for daily use.

SlowRain (original poster)

#5: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

It helps getting a better grip by removing all the oil from the shaft first, but I finally got it. I added some oil, but it didn't seem to limber things up all that much. Guess I'll just have to let it break in naturally. Thanks for the help.

Intrepid510

#6: Post by Intrepid510 »

oh man isn't this a bit of a personal question?

SlowRain (original poster)

#7: Post by SlowRain (original poster) replying to Intrepid510 »

:mrgreen:

Advertisement
Riceman42

#8: Post by Riceman42 »

Without removing the knob, I used a toothpick to apply some coconut oil. I recall being initially disappointed because it didn't seem to help much. After a week or so of daily use, I noticed a significant difference. Over a longer period of time I forgot that knob stiffness was ever even a problem.

RedMan

#9: Post by RedMan »

"Oiling the knob" and "knob stiffness", what kind of forum is this turning into?

I used some very fine grit sandpaper on the shaft (hurt like hell!) in addition to oil and that helped quite a bit.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

The toothpick method worked for me.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272