Rancilio Silvia only shoots gushers - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jonr

#11: Post by jonr »

Going lower or higher that ~9 bars decreases flow - so it's not the pressure. Perhaps something causing the puck to crack away from the basket wall. Try the standard basket with 16 grams.

kellzey

#12: Post by kellzey »

I assume you don't have a PID controller on this to verify temps.

After you let it heat up for at least 30 minutes, do you flush some water through so you aren't flash steaming the grounds?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing »

As a data point, my Silvia is about the same age (March 2006 date code) and I adjusted the OPV a couple weeks ago. When I measured the volume coming out of the OPV and compared the results to the graphs, the volume was within the bands - but when I hooked up a pressure gauge, the pressure was low. (I opened the steam wand just enough to simulate extraction flow rate, and put an automotive compression gauge (and also a bicycle tire pressure gauge) on the portafilter. Neither is very good because they are not fluid-damped, but I wanted to see the variance.)

After all, the graphs are for new pumps, not old ones.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

j0dan (original poster)

#14: Post by j0dan (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:From simple physic standpoint, there is absolutely no way that a machine can't choke with fine enough grind, regardless of pressure (anywhere from 0-30 bar). Can you imagine the Silvia punches through a blind filter? Nope. That's exactly what the fine coffee grounds are - a solid resistance, when they're ground fine enough.

Problem lies in the grinder or the coffee, definitely. I will bet my one week of espresso on this. :mrgreen: Either the grinder can't get fine enough or the coffee is not fresh/too light roasted(creating not sufficient fines). Don't chase the brew pressure/OPV until you can choke the machine. Borrow a more solid grinder.

Also, just read that you're using a VST basket. Those require really really fine ground. You have the stock basket around? Dose that 14-16g at finest setting and pull a shot.
It's looking like a bad grinder.. AGAIN!

Thanks for reminding me about the VST basket. I do remember it being very difficult to work with on my Rocky grinder.

Was able to choke it with my old triple basket at 20grams with the grinder set to "smoke" on the Breville Smart Grinder. I gotta say, the smart grinder is very impressive from a consumer point of view, but it is not for the extreme coffee geek. (It was purchased at a huge discount for $90 to be used for Aeropress at the office.)

I then switched back to my Baratza Vario which has been temper-mental and it miraculously started grinding fine enough. Had to take out my VST basket again and actually got a shot that tasted ok. 17g:30g at 28 seconds.

So after using almost an entire pound of coffee today I have a small victory. Does one really need a Mazzer to get anywhere reliably?

kellzey

#15: Post by kellzey »

Cut back to 16 grams instead of 17.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by samuellaw178 »

j0dan wrote:I then switched back to my Baratza Vario which has been temper-mental and it miraculously started grinding fine enough. Had to take out my VST basket again and actually got a shot that tasted ok. 17g:30g at 28 seconds.

So after using almost an entire pound of coffee today I have a small victory. Does one really need a Mazzer to get anywhere reliably?
Looks like I will be able to keep drinking my espresso. :mrgreen:

About the reliability comment, not necessarily, you do have other alternative (Compak Macap etc). Or consider a hand grinder(Hausgrind/OE/Rosco etc). The Baratza is amazing for what they can do, but it is also quite common that they can't keep up doing that forever especially if you like medium/light roasted beans. If you like the form factor & features of the Vario, Forte is much better built and closer to Mazzer in terms of built quality(by how much I do not know).

Have you tried recalibrating the Vario? It seems to be the first thing to do when it's not grinding fine enough. Contact Baratza or your vendor so that you don't jeopardize the warranty (just in case).

j0dan (original poster)

#17: Post by j0dan (original poster) replying to samuellaw178 »

:)

I really like the Baratza form factor, but this is also my third Baratza because of breakdowns. And I only make espresso once a week. My Preciso had burr wiggle and so I upgraded to the Vario. The first one broke after 1 week (manufacturing problem) and the one I am using now decides when it wants to adjust to a finer grind. It's been serviced and I have calibrated it so much that the calibration screw is just about worn out.

I can get a Mazzer Mini E today for about $810USD, so that's looking like a good option. Or just selling everything. :x

Out of curiosity, what do you use?

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by samuellaw178 replying to j0dan »

Nah, don't sell everything. You will regret it, trust me. I did so and only to end up buying again. :P This hobby is too good to give up.

My experience with Baratza is about the same too. Vario is good if you drink one bean at a time. Dialing in between beans ends up wasting more than it saves on the retention. I love trying different beans so it's a no go. I've also tried a Baratza Preciso at one point. Was VERY impressed, until I decided to try light/medium roasted beans. Great company standing behind their products though. If I were you (since you like the form factor), I'd try trading in for a Forte with the vendor - provided the difference is worth it. Mazzer Mini E is more reliable but you compromise on some aspects ie the retention.

After I'd sold everything (was moving between countries), I have been using a Rosco Mini for almost 2 years(daily 2-3 espresso). Requires some elbow grease but great little grinder nonetheless. Reliable & repeatable grind setting with no retention. Now that I've acquired a Compak K10, it's my main grinder. The Rosco is delegated to brew (French Press, Vac Pot & Turkish), and as portable grinder for Rossa which still works really well.

benpiff

#19: Post by benpiff »

This sounds crazy, post a video!

I loved the Vario for many years, and wouldn't mind at all going back to one when I no longer can justify the K10 Fresh. I owned two Varios in the last few years and grinded a ton of coffee with them, although I did calibrate mine a lot finer to give a ton of adjustment room.