Compak K-10 Pro and Channeling - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Spitz.me

#21: Post by Spitz.me »

I've definitely noticed that more head space in the basket can lead to an even pour out of the basket. Heck, even sitting the lever in the middle position and pre-wetting the puck helps as well. I don't think it's a grinder issue at all. I mean, you can run down that rabbit hole of trying to fix your grinder... if it needs a fix.
LMWDP #670

frank828

#22: Post by frank828 »

ive found that distribution is noticeably better on grinders like the k30 and mythos. they set the grinds down much more gently and right in the center of the basket. My roburE is a bit of a monster. It throws grinds down aggressively into the portafilter and really needs a bit of maneuvering to get the grinds where i want them. Even then, i do often get multiple streams(many times ugly). Ive started using my spouted portafilter because it's been mentally messing me up.

Sometimes i wonder if it's the grind quality in big superfast conicals like in the robur/k10...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by JohnB. »

frank828 wrote: Sometimes i wonder if it's the grind quality in big superfast conicals like in the robur/k10...
The K10 PB only spins at 350RPM which is quite slow. Also the grinder in question has a doser so the barista controls the speed at which the basket is filled.
LMWDP 267

frank828

#24: Post by frank828 replying to JohnB. »

i meant the speed at which the dose is ground. the k30 spins at ~1500 rpm but takes longer to grind a full dose than my robur.

i understood that the OP is talking about a doser based grinder, but i added the thought at the end because maybe it's not the doser/distribution but rather the difference in grind quality/ies.

BigBlaze (original poster)

#25: Post by BigBlaze (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:No, but those VST baskets are finicky. I have several but use the Espressoparts HQ baskets 95% of the time. No stirring, no channeling with my K10 WBC & the HQs. Grind, dose, level, tamp.
For the first time since I own the R58, I pulled shots today using the Rocket filter basket that came with the machine. I pull over 10 shots and most of them where perfect, NO CHANNELING!!!

I had more perfect shot today the the last 6 months...

The R58 stock basket has a capacity of over 18g when level with flat knife.

I will start a new thread about VST BASKET.

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THOSE BASKETS?

shadowfax

#26: Post by shadowfax »

frank828 wrote:i meant the speed at which the dose is ground. the k30 spins at ~1500 rpm but takes longer to grind a full dose than my robur.
Still, there is a significant difference in grind speed between a Robur and K10. Roburs typically grind an 18g dose in ~3 seconds, whereas a K10 is more likely in the 5-7 second range for that same dose. That is right in line with the K30 or Mythos, I think.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Marshall

#27: Post by Marshall replying to shadowfax »

About 3.8 seconds for the K30.
Marshall
Los Angeles