Grinder When Not Making Espresso - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by samuellaw178 »

Lido 2 is a good choice when grinding for self & family. But for guests (I assume at least 50-60g of coffee), isn't it a little inelegant (especially if you're serving your excellent LIGHT/hard roasted SO)? I can't imagine hand grinding so much coffee without the guests feeling bad for me. Electric grinding seems to be the better choice in this case, unless the guests are coffee enthusiast themselves (which may interest them and sparks a conversation).

nickw

#12: Post by nickw »

cannonfodder, I was simply curious how well the HG One does. It also sounded like it's only for occasional use for other people anyways, which was why I mentioned it.

As a side / semi related note, TomC and JohnB mentioned they would compare their HG's to their brew grinders (Bunzilla and a Ditting 1204), but never did. So I was still curious how a HG One does for non espresso. Not saying it's the best, just wondering how people find it.

HG one for non-espresso grinding?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

The Lido 2 grinds pretty quickly and easily for coarser grinds, I ground up two 57 gram batches for Chemex / paper for Thanksgiving at my Mother-in-law's. It was probably the best Chemex batch this size (900 ml limited by pouring kettle) I've made, didn't clog the filter with fines. I set up a pour-over bar in the back yard because the kitchen was packed with food and people.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 »

The HG One 83mm does work OK for drip whereas the 71mm version will give a bit more fines. Also have a look at http://hg-one.com/ninety-plus-coffee. There are however grinders that do a much better job like the Lido 2 or Hausgrind. Doing coarse ginds on a handgrinder won't be a problem and will go pretty fast.

Nate42

#15: Post by Nate42 »

Having moved from a mazzer mini to a baratza preciso, I can definitely say that it was an upgrade for french press and all brewing methods. I personally went with the preciso over the virtuoso because I also wanted a "backup" espresso grinder for when I don't feel like cranking my pharos. For brewing only may as well get the virtuoso.

Catherwood

#16: Post by Catherwood »

Does anyone use a Kalita Naisukattomiru?

Care to comment about grind quality for FP or pour over?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

Did you find a Kalita grinder for 120 V? The one Amazon listing I found showed a model set up for the Japanese 100 V, not sure how it would perform on US mains.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Catherwood

#18: Post by Catherwood »

Looked at Amazon descriptions of the same grinder in three different colors. One says it is 110 another says it's 220, third one didn't say.

The threads on HB don't say anything conclusive about this grinder and there is some confusion to the type of burrs on these models. Some say they use cutting burrs or some say ghost burrs.

Maybe someone has one and can answer the questions.