Huky 500: getting higher gas pressure?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
radioroaster

#1: Post by radioroaster »

I haven't been using the Huky gas regulator that Mr Li provides as I couldn't fit it to my propane tank. I've been using a standard bbq regulator to get gas to the stove. But I noticed I wasn't getting pressure higher than about 2.75 or maybe 3 kPa if lucky. Mr Li said it was because that hose was only a 1/2PSI, so I purchased a 1PSI regulator and hose and started using it.

For a few days it gave better pressure readings of about 3kPa, but it's back down to maxing out at 2.5 as seen below. That's with propane tank cranked full and the gas gauge on the Huky burner cranked wide open.

Also, if the propane tank starts getting low on fuel, will the pressure change?
Any ideas on how to get a max of 5kPa as Mr Li recommends?

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

I had the same issue.. Did you keep your green one from Mr. Li?

If so, you need to screw it in your bottle and tighten it about 5x tighter than you think you actually can if that makes any sense... It has to open the safety inside the US bottle... That should do the trick for you

edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

II'm using a standard swedish regulator, 30mBar, which is quite low. With that I get a reading which sometimes goes just a bit over 2.5 (which is only applied in the warm-up phase anyhow). The one Mr. Li provides rates at 50mBar, but I have to use a converter with that.
Now, I have found my standard regulator to be good enough to reach 1C within 6-7 minutes even with a full 500g roast. On a normal roast I aim for 1C in 9-10 minutes and I rarely go over a reading of 2.0 in the beginning of the roast.
I had read a lot on this forum on various burners etc. and found a thread on seasoning the drum, which was the first thing I did with the machine. The drum was quite light in color and had a metal sheen to it. So I had a go on it with some 100 grit sanding paper and then a thin cover of olive oil and had it rotating over the IR stove for half an hour. At least I got some dark patches and a "nice tan" to it... I didn't make any roasts before the seasoning, so I cannot tell if there really was any difference, but there were enough people giving testimony in the above mentioned thread to convince me.

radioroaster (original poster)

#4: Post by radioroaster (original poster) »

Thanks all. Will try refitting Mr. Li's regulator and hope for higher pressure.

Tonight, after roasting a couple batches of some Yirg Aricha this morning and getting to 1C by 9mins or so - those same batch amounts (411g) tonight are taking 13minutes to 1C! Seems like gas pressure is getting worse. Or what else would explain the excessive length of time to reach 1C for same batch size of same coffee?

millcityroasters

#5: Post by millcityroasters »

Sounds like regulator icing?

Small LPG tanks are prone to icing small diaphragm, single stage regulators.

We found this out the hard way. You probably want a bigger regulator or a larger tank or both.

radioroaster (original poster)

#6: Post by radioroaster (original poster) »

Yep Steve, the icing was the culprit. Thanks! Temps here in Georgia warmed up and I noticed a significant improvement in gas pressure.

Anyone have any recommendations of a step up from the standard BBQ propane tank and regulator? Something more geared to doing consecutive roasts, like 6-10 batches in a row?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by hankua »

I'm using LP tanks from BJ's; no problem with the green regulator from Taiwan. I just snug in in without over tightening and use vasoline on the gasket. It'll go to 4.5kpa, 4kpa is the highest I use.