Good time to sell Rancilio Silvia?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

So, after mastering my barista skills.. I've decided it's time for an upgrade. I am very enticed by the Breville Dual Boiler.. the features it has just blows me away being cheaper than my silvia was refurbished (The 900, no the 920). So.. my question is: Is now a good time to sell Espresso gear? I tried to sell Silvia back in June and I didn't really get anywhere. My thought is.. it's almost Christmas and I'm sure someone out there love's treating themselves or someone else to some great espresso gear.. but me having no experience with selling espresso equipment is wondering what you think? Sell now? Or wait till after the new year? One other thing, where is a good place to sell? I've had great luck with eBay but my god.. I am not in the mood to sell a machine for around the 700 dollar region and pay over $100 for eBay fees.. I'm fine with paying for shipping and all, but I don't want to end up with $500 from a machine I paid $800 for less than a year ago.

Thanks! =D

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

If it's priced correctly, a Rancilio Silvia will sell in a few hours on CoffeeGeek. If you had difficulty selling it in June, surely your asking price was too high. See How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price for pricing advice. Or search since the "how much should I sell my XYZ for?" question comes up every month, e.g., Selling advice? Rancilio Silvia v1 pricing.
Dan Kehn

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to HB »

I wouldn't say my price was too high, I had priced it at a bid of 450 and Buy it Now of 700, oh, I should've mentioned, this unit has a pid.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I consider 70% current retail a reasonable starting point.
Dan Kehn

takeshi

#5: Post by takeshi »

LukeFlynn wrote:I wouldn't say my price was too high
Timing's not the issue. The problem with relying on what you say isn't too high is that you're not the one buying it. It's what a person is willing to pay that will determine the price that will sell anything. As with cars, mods and options aren't going to significantly increase resale value.

Spitz.me

#6: Post by Spitz.me »

TBH - No one cares what you paid for it. You could have paid $2000 to PID the machine, no one would pay 70% of that for a PID Silvia. A non-PID can easily go for about $300-$400. I don't think you'll get much more than the $400 for a PID Silvia.

The market for a PID Silvia is an odd one because these people are making a decision to get a machine like: 1) a new Crossland or; 2) buy a used Silvia with/without an after market PID or; 3) buy a new Silvia. If the cost is fairly similar, people tend to buy new. This, especially when the alternative is to purchase a modified machine from a stranger online at a similar price.
LMWDP #670