First Huky 500 Roast - SUCCESS

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
kellzey

#1: Post by kellzey »

WOW! What a dream to use.

I did 300 grams of El Salvador Finca Matalapa Bourbon from Sweet Marias

I followed Kfir's suggestions for a first-time roast.

Preheat the roaster to 220-230c (ET), no airflow. turn around point usually at 1:35.
Drop the beans, keep the heat at 50% until BT=150c, no airflow (you can leave the "chimney" open).
At 150c BT (~3.5-4 minutes), increase the heat to 75% and use very low airflow or 6-7 sec of high airflow every minute.
at the start of FC (~198c BT, ~8-9 minutes) give a strong pulse of airflow for few seconds and reduce the heat to 50% till the end.

Everything happened right on queue. It was amazing. First crack at 8:06 minutes... drop temp of 224 (11:02 minutes)

I don't have a great Artisan graph to display. I used it, but accidentally switched the BT and ET probes. And I forgot to click all the markers. But it was helpful to watch the progress.

kellzey (original poster)

#2: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

Here's my non-labeled backwards Artisan graph. (Axes labeled wrong temperature too!). LOL

edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

Now you just have to wait a few days for the roast to mature... :) I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you and it seems like the roasts I've done does need more time (than what I'm used to from my Gene Cafe). But they really come to live after say 5 days.
It also seems like Artisan is labeling the temp axis wrong. Those values are in centigrade, though is says "F". Just mess around with it a bit, and also, go into the "Config/Axis..." menu where you will find a "default" button. Just press it and the whole thing should look better and help you a bit more during the roast.

#4: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

I know. That's the hardest part.

I really was surprised how nicely it roasted and how easy it was to use!

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

deleted

Kfir

#6: Post by Kfir »

Beautiful looking roast, well done!

For espresso give it at least a week, sometimes it's even better after 8-9 days.

I Store my roasts in foil bags with one way valve.

Kfir.

#7: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

Thank you everyone. I will sample some tomorrow morning. :)

And the next morning...

And maybe once or twice during the day

#8: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

I pulled some espresso this morning. Wow, what a great cup. Great crema ... not burnt or sour.

I was so excited I drank it all without a photo, but it was one of my best tasting espresso's I've made so far. I think it will only be better tomorrow.

GregR

#9: Post by GregR »

Congrats to you- that is an outstanding first roast. The color looks beautifully even. By the way- in Artisan you can add the events after the roast is done by clicking on Roast>>Properties and just entering the times in the little boxes, then click the Update button. I end up using that feature a lot.