Using Artisan Buttons to Log Events

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

So, I have yet another question about the optimal use of Artisan to record what you are doing with your roasts.

Do you perform the operation (CHARGE and DROP for example) before or after you hit the button for the corresponding event?
It seems trivial, but there is a lag. It's virtually impossible to be doing both at exactly the same time, and the recording of the temperature at which it is done will be different.

I think I remember that one person indicated recording FC after about 7 cracks? And would end of FC be a similar number of seconds after the last crack is heard? I mean how do you ever know that it was the last one and decide to start counting???

Yes....I'm getting lost in the minutae...
Guess I'll just go roast some coffee, but....I would like to know how you handle these little things that trip me up.

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

SJM wrote:So, I have yet another question about the optimal use of Artisan to record what you are doing with your roasts.

Do you perform the operation (CHARGE and DROP for example) before or after you hit the button for the corresponding event?
It seems trivial, but there is a lag. It's virtually impossible to be doing both at exactly the same time, and the recording of the temperature at which it is done will be different.
Don't know what the optimal use of Artisan would be. However, I activate both, autoCHARGE and autoDROP (events dialog, menu CONFIG >> EVENTS), and that reliable set CHARGE and DROP on my roasts (might not work that well on other machines; remember that autoCHARGE needs at least 4 measurements recorded before the CHARGE and that it takes some after CHARGE to detect the event in retrospect).

Then I usually activate keyboard navigation by pressing the RETURN key and use the SPACE key to set the other events like DRY and FCs (do not need the FCe that often anymore;)

rgrosz

#3: Post by rgrosz »

SJM wrote:Do you perform the operation (CHARGE and DROP for example) before or after you hit the button for the corresponding event?

I think I remember that one person indicated recording FC after about 7 cracks? And would end of FC be a similar number of seconds after the last crack is heard? I mean how do you ever know that it was the last one and decide to start counting???
On my Hottop, the auto-charge setting works 85% of the time. But the auto-drop only works about 15% of the time. I try to push the physical button and the artisan button at the same time. If I miss the timing badly, it is easy to fix. Just right click on the BT curve, and you can easily change where CHARGE or DROP occurs.

The end of first crack is definitely a guess, based on memory of time since hearing the last crack. But you can change it easily via right-click on the BT curve.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee