Coffee tastes sour with french press - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mook613

#21: Post by mook613 »

Shenrei wrote:I'd probably put less emphasis on temp and more on grind and steep time. I usually find the French Press to be pretty forgiving with temp as long as the water is quite hot when being poured in (207 and higher when pouring into a un-preheated FP).

If you check the Forte thread, I mention that the Steel Burrs CAN be used for espresso with the Forte (I don't know about the Vario) with no issues. Baratza directly confirms this, and the main difference between the burrs is flavor profiling (clarity vs body). I've been using them for espresso and have been getting great results. FWIW, for both espresso and press, the steel burrs are excellent.
Just brewed my third cup of the day.

Grind size 10Z.
Temp measured at 197 once fully poured.
6 minute steep time.

The aroma is significantly better (the Starbucks beans actually smell good). There is decent body to this cup, but still bitter.
Will bring it down to 5 minutes for my next cup (possibly later today) and then see if that brings me to that fine line between sour and bitter.

In the mean time, my plan was to master the Espro press before buying an espresso machine, but just found a good deal on a used Silvia, so looks like my attention will be shifted.

mook613

#22: Post by mook613 »

So did two more brews using the Forte AP and the small Espro:

First
1) Grind size: 10Z (22g)
2) Temp measured at 200 in the press once poured
3) 5 minute brew time
Result: Getting closer but still a bit bitter

Second
1) 10B (22g)
2) 200 degrees
3) 5 minute brew time
Result: perfect.

So now to dial it down I will continue to bring my grind finer until I get it to the 4 minutes.

MWJB

#23: Post by MWJB »

Can I ask why 4 mins is more desirable that 5mins? I mean, I hope you achieve what you want & good luck, but why make more obstacles for yourself for the sake of 60seconds?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

I target five minute brews myself with my pour-overs and my Bobble Presse brew mug. I like to give my brews time to hydrolise the hemicellulose for a bit of added sweetness.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272