Holiday Indulgences?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Evilsports

#1: Post by Evilsports »

What are y'all ordering up for the holidays? I'm looking for some exceptional beans to order for my father and I over Christmas.

I've had a fairly limited run in the past few months, in that I've only been brewing espresso for the past few months... :mrgreen:

Tried Black Cat (liked it), Sapsucker (kinda liked it in a one time type of way), Reko (not crazy about it), Red Brick (also from Square Mile, huge fan of this one).

Are there any exemplary Gesha's on the market currently? I haven't tried any yet and I think that the holidays would be a decent excuse to splurge..

Any other recommendations for beans that might be a bit beyond the scope of every day spending, but worth the occasional indulgence?

Cheers.
Kevin.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

The holiday Geisha offerings from Verve disappear rather fast, but they fit your specifications for a splurge.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Evilsports (original poster)

#3: Post by Evilsports (original poster) »

Thanks for the heads up, Tom.

I just spent more than I ever expected to on 3lbs of coffee.

If my wife shows up here, tell her I love her! :P

#4: Post by Evilsports (original poster) »

This was a mistake. I didn't take into account USPS shipping and now we're on day 7 past roast and no sign of the beans.

Live and learn, I should know better than to select USPS shipping. :oops:

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

That's unfortunate, but you can take some condolence in knowing that some Geisha's tend to have very long legs. Some aren't even at their best till 7-10 days, oddly. But I would rather have the option of choosing for myself too :cry:

#6: Post by Evilsports (original poster) replying to TomC »

That's somewhat reassuring. Thanks.

You know, I completely remember having 2 or 3 options for shipping when I was checking out. I also remember thinking, "Dang, after spending that kind of money on coffee maybe I ought to save a few bucks and choose the $50 shipping option instead of the more expensive one.." :mrgreen:

Oh well. I'm sure it'll be drinkable, as long as it doesn't get caught in customs forever.

Say Tom, if you had three types of Geisha beans coming (1lb of each) how would you go about sampling them?

I'm asking because I'm a bit nervous to dump a pound into my grinder and just try to start dialing in an espresso shot. I'm new enough that it still takes me a while sometimes (I burnt through a pound of 49th Parallel's Epic before I had a reasonable shot).

If you were looking for a fairly predictable option, what would you try? Chemex? Pourover?

Thanks.

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

For me, it would be brewed only. And any paper filtered method would be my priority for the flavor separation and clarity.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#8: Post by EspressoForge »

Evilsports wrote:That's somewhat reassuring. Thanks.

You know, I completely remember having 2 or 3 options for shipping when I was checking out. I also remember thinking, "Dang, after spending that kind of money on coffee maybe I ought to save a few bucks and choose the $50 shipping option instead of the more expensive one.." :mrgreen:

Oh well. I'm sure it'll be drinkable, as long as it doesn't get caught in customs forever.

Say Tom, if you had three types of Geisha beans coming (1lb of each) how would you go about sampling them?

I'm asking because I'm a bit nervous to dump a pound into my grinder and just try to start dialing in an espresso shot. I'm new enough that it still takes me a while sometimes (I burnt through a pound of 49th Parallel's Epic before I had a reasonable shot).

If you were looking for a fairly predictable option, what would you try? Chemex? Pourover?

Thanks.
If you have it, I would try it as a vac pot. But however you're most comfortable making a brewed coffee would be fine I would say. The better you know a process, the more you could be sure you'll be getting something you like. I still have half a pound of Panama Esmeralda Geisha (unroasted) that I'm planning to pull some shots on my Strega. Just been waiting to get a few more roasts from my Quest M3 under my belt...

Wow... $50 for USPS shipping. It sounds like they maybe don't know how to ship 3lbs to Canada at a decent rate... I would guess if I went to the post office it would be less than $20. I've sent a Caravel espresso machine to PNG for about $50. But I guess sometimes things don't make much sense or maybe they are playing it safe.

Next time ship it to me, I'll sample it to make sure all is OK and forward it on to you...you may even get the package faster! Just kidding, but good luck in the future! At least it's a learning experience.