Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pkScary

#1: Post by pkScary »

Hey guys,

Why do you think this machine does not seem to sell used? It's quite expensive new at $2,245, and people seem reluctant to pay even $1,500 used. It is a very attractive machine, with temp control, and has been used in professional barista comps. What gives?

SomersetDee

#2: Post by SomersetDee »

Hi
I think it is an ok'ish machine used. I have seen it in a small restaurant once where I had coffee after a burger.
Ask why the previous owner wishes to sell... best way to find out.
regards

Advertisement
lain2097

#3: Post by lain2097 »

That kinda makes sense as it is still a small HX and not particularly rare. So like half on the used market could be expected, like Mazzers. Myself I don't find it particularly attractive, then again I tend to like industrial all-business looking stuff.

SomersetDee

#4: Post by SomersetDee »

If you are willing to spend to this price point in the secondhand market then you get a good, (almost a massive), choice of machines. So it all comes down to checking the machine before the purchase. Most high-end machines need a service only once a year(or two) with domestic use. I would class the LUx as a strictly domestic machine and never recommend it for heavy use.

regards

FireBurnDread

#5: Post by FireBurnDread »

Owner of the said machine here. I've thought of upgrading my machine but never quite got to it.
For me, its because I bought this machine with a very specific set of criteria in mind.

Its got its unique look (and bling), and sits really nicely within the home as a 'drinks for everyone' kinda machine with its great micro-foaming-ability, and a basic pre-infusion. If they made had a trade in program for a similar Musica with adjustable preinfusion, PID-ed double boiler, and a non-spurting hot water wand, i'd probably get that in a drop of a hat.

Meanwhile, my feel is that any upgrades, are going to be either of the following:
a) mild improvement in espresso quality at the possible loss of easy micro-foam-ability for the family and a unique blingy look
i.e. A nice E61 DB like the Profitec 700 (cost ++)

b) same as (a) but a larger improvement in espresso quality and more foaming ability, but maintaining a stocky E61 look (personally don't favour the saucer as its a real burn hazard)
i.e.Vesuvius / Londinium (cost +++++ / ++++)

c) a definite Yes-in-all-fronts upgrade!!!... but you might have to sell an arm, a leg, and a kidney.... :(
i.e. Slayer, Speedster, GS3

thoughts are only representative of me though... sorry and thanks for reading the long post :D

ajpace

#6: Post by ajpace »

I just ordered the non-bling direct connect version of this a few days ago. $1700 brand new. Based upon everything Ive read, there is not much on the market that competes with it at that price.

Im replacing a older Rancilio S26 so I know the steaming ability might fall a little short. Other than that, I expect great results. All NS machines are known for quality of construction and great temperature stability.

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

pkScary wrote:It's quite expensive new at $2,245
The regular Musica retails for $2245. The Lux, which is the same machine but with the lighted side panels, retails for $2500. Lux means light in Latin.
It is a very attractive machine, with temp control

No temp control beyond "thermosiphon" and the other ordinary HX tricks like tons o' brass. It's a very stable group as those things go -- better than an E-61 in that respect. But no "temp control."
has been used in professional barista comps.
I know you're getting this from a retailer's website, but it's misleading. The NS which was used in "professional barista comps" for awhile was the Aurlelia Competizione. Sadly, the Musica is no Aurelia.

Regarding something someone else said, NS does not make a double boiler; and considering how stable the Appias and Aurelias are, they don't need to.

Bottom Line
While the Musica has some interesting things going for it, it's not a great deal better than its ordinary, ubiquitous, E-61 competition. If people can get a good, used HX for less than $1500, why would they pay more?

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
benpiff

#8: Post by benpiff »

What temp control? Do many people buy these? It seems to me like Simonelli missed the boat on what their updated machine should have been. But it's been many years since I've wanted to push buttons, so I don't really know what it brings to the table (apart from lights and stuff).